Smoking/bbq

4,145 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by JurisDucktor
JurisDucktor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do any of the grillmaestros here make their own bbq sauce or rub? I've been wanting to try to make one or the other and will probably try some rub first because it seems harder to mess up
Duck Helmet
Otherwise known as "The Matt Prehm Memorial Barbecue Thread."
thevowel
1. https://amazingribs.com/ should be your #1 resource.
2. If you want old-school knowledge and recipes, go here: http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

I've been using this rub recipe for decades: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/8563-john-berwalds-dry-rub

Here was this weekend's result:
NachoCheese
"My rub is the gas coming off the grill"-Matt Prehm
EHallam
thevowel said:

2. If you want old-school knowledge and recipes, go here: http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

I've been using this rub recipe for decades: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/8563-john-berwalds-dry-rub

Did pulled pork yesterday following the amazingribs.com method and it turned out really well.

thevowel
looking good!
EHallam
Thanks! I've only done a few pulled porks but this one definitely was the best. Gonna tweak some things with it to get it perfect but I was happy!
goducks23
Duck Helmet said:

Otherwise known as "The Matt Prehm Memorial Barbecue Thread."
i don't think it can be considered a memorial thread when 1. he's still alive, and 2. he's a member i'm sure.
d5ve
I use this recipe

http://virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

which has always been great for a snappy, super peppery bark on a pulled pork. The recipes are all intended for a Weber Smokey Mountain but I find it works on any charcoal smoker.
Joe
This guys seems to know what he's doing. I've done several of his recipes and they come out perfect every time. He's a heavy set dude with a Southern twang. Always the best BBqers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC--MxpGXJ3LVD8KvlNzRlcA
PeninsulaDuck
EHallam said:

thevowel said:

Did pulled pork yesterday following the amazingribs.com method and it turned out really well.

This is gonna be a great thread!!!
PeninsulaDuck
JurisDucktor said:

Do any of the grillmaestros here make their own bbq sauce or rub? I've been wanting to try to make one or the other and will probably try some rub first because it seems harder to mess up
Great thread to start!!! Thank you JD!!!
JurisDucktor
Great links, thank you! I've only really looked into howtobbqright on YouTube, definitely going to spend the rest of the night reading this

Also, how was the Mac and cheese?? It looks killer, I've been dying to try smoking some.
JurisDucktor
PeninsulaDuck said:

JurisDucktor said:

I've seriously been waiting so long for the OT board to become a thing just to start a bbq thread. My wife is sick of hearing me talk about it and I'm always looking to learn more about it since I'm relatively new to it!
PeninsulaDuck
JurisDucktor said:

PeninsulaDuck said:

JurisDucktor said:

I've seriously been waiting so long for the OT board to become a thing just to start a bbq thread. My wife is sick of hearing me talk about it and I'm always looking to learn more about it since I'm relatively new to it!

Let's do this JD!!! Hell yeah!!!
thevowel
It was pretty great.

Seeinggreen
I'm currently in the market for a smoker and most people point me towards the Treager, which I'm considering but I wanted to see what you guys suggest?
JurisDucktor
I recently got the Traeger C34 on a killer father's day sale @ costco, and it's the only smoker I've ever owned so I can only really speak to that. I love my traeger, and my buddies who have one love theirs too. I've also heard really good things about Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg smokers.

Do you have a preference for charcoal v pellets? What's the price range you are looking to be in?
Seeinggreen
JurisDucktor said:

I recently got the Traeger C34 on a killer father's day sale @ costco, and it's the only smoker I've ever owned so I can only really speak to that. I love my traeger, and my buddies who have one love theirs too. I've also heard really good things about Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg smokers.

Do you have a preference for charcoal v pellets? What's the price range you are looking to be in?

I am not focusing on price first, I just trying to figure out what the best route to go is. I am leaning towards the Treager though because it has been suggested by multiple people and my dad loves his.
As far as charcoal or pellets, I would be open either way but I think I like the pellet route better.
thevowel
I think using charcoal taught me a lot that makes my bbq results better today, but I finally switched to a pellet smoker because I wanted to be able to sleep through the night without getting up every 60-90 minutes to check on things.
DMVDUCK
Seeinggreen said:

I'm currently in the market for a smoker and most people point me towards the Treager, which I'm considering but I wanted to see what you guys suggest?

I'm a big fan of komodo style grills but they can be difficult unless your willing to invest in a big green egg. I love the charcoal flavor though. A friend of mine has a Treager and loves it. My only complaint is I can't use it as a grill because it had a very low cook point and doesn't go very high at all. I like to smoke something first for a big cookout and then turn the heat up for burgers and hot dogs. It really depends on your need
pwhoffman
I went with pellets because it makes for a much simpler and consistent product. I got a Green Mountain which has the wireless controller which I can program, makes for a very simple experience. I would say it is the smoker for dummies but the results are darn good, especially with quality pellets. That is something that I have noticed, less expensive pellets sometimes don't delivery the smoky flavor that I desire.

If you are just starting go with a pellet smoker and learn by tweaking recipes. If you desire a more challenging but albeit better flavor experience go to charcoal or wood smoker and have the pellet as backup or as an outdoor oven. My Green Mountain can go from 150 to 500 degrees and maintain that temperature for long periods of time. Of course higher temp requires more pellets and occasionally refilling the hopper. But works very well.
Seeinggreen
DMVDUCK said:

Seeinggreen said:

I'm a big fan of komodo style grills but they can be difficult unless your willing to invest in a big green egg. I love the charcoal flavor though. A friend of mine has a Treager and loves it. My only complaint is I can't use it as a grill because it had a very low cook point and doesn't go very high at all. I like to smoke something first for a big cookout and then turn the heat up for burgers and hot dogs. It really depends on your need

I have a Weber grill, which I like, but the issue I think is space. I don't see my wife being thrilled with me storing both units.
DMVDUCK
Seeinggreen said:

DMVDUCK said:

Seeinggreen said:

I have a Weber grill, which I like, but the issue I think is space. I don't see my wife being thrilled with me storing both units.

That's my issue as well. We have a decent sized yard but I still don't want to take up that much space. I'm happier having spent more money for less hassle
Bairduck
A Traeger will get plenty hot enough to do burgers and dogs. On a cold day, mine easily gets to 450 degrees and easily over 480 on a warm day. They don't cook quite as high as many people would like for a steak to get a good sear. But you can get a cast iron grill or grate which provides a great sear. Also, there are specially made insulated blankets that you can get which increase the cooking temp substantially which is useful for cold weather days.
OregonDonor
Been doing pulled pork and other barbecue for a long time. I don't have any special tricks other than using a meat injector, keeping the temp around 225, and making sure you get the meat temp upwards of 190, 200 degrees is even better.

I mainly use charcoal and wood chips but I've also used just wood. All fruit wood and oak work great.

Mosster47
I consider myself a BBQ expert. I've been doing it for about 20 years now. My preferred taste is more on the texas side where I'd rather the meat stand out than a sauce. Sweet rubs are 100Myout for me also, so those fans or sugary pork wouldn't like me.

I use the same rub on everything. Equal part kosher salt/peper, 1/4 garlic and chili powder, and 1/8 cayenne pepper.

I started cheating and bought pellet grill about five or six years ago and it's so much more efficient than any other method and the results are right there with anything else as long as you don't require cold smoking.

If you want your meat to be good fat trimming, carving, meat temperature, parchment paper over foil with brisket, and rest time separate the men from the boys.

Ribs seem to be the toughest for everyone. I'll share my recipe on them. They are pretty much perfect. Wash, dry, remove the silver skin, trim, and rub 24 hours prior, pull from the fridge 30 minutes before the grill and add more rub. The grill needs to be at 225 the entire time. Two hours bones down uncovered. Make some fresh juice with gala apples. Not store bought ****, fresh gala apples squeezed or if you have a juicer use that (masticated is always preferred), put the ribs in foil bones up and add 1/2 of the apple juice into the bottom of the foil to each rack and let it go for two more hours. Uncover, bones back down, put a vinegar based BBQ sauce on top (Stubbs is perfect for store bought) and let it go for 30 more minutes. Vinegar based BBQ sauce, none that sweet garbage.

Pull, apply BBQ sauce again, let rest for 10 minutes uncovered. You're all set.

For brisket, as soon as it looks done on the outside get it wrapped in parchment paper right then and keep it cap up (if cooking a full packers cut).
Tru
There's a puddle of drool next to my keyboard... not sure how it got there
JurisDucktor
Do you apply a binder for the rub or just put it straight on?
Tualatinduck
Now I want to grill something tonight.
Tru
Tualatinduck said:

It's too warm to cook inside anyways.

I do have a 15" cast iron pan that I've been experimenting on. Made some great steaks a couple weeks back. It's still a work in progress
thevowel
Mosster47 said:

If you want your meat to be good fat trimming, carving, meat temperature, parchment paper over foil with brisket, and rest time separate the men from the boys.
Hard to argue with any of this. I could quibble about details - and sometimes that's fun - but if you get good at those things your bbq will be excellent.
Seeinggreen
pwhoffman said:

I went with pellets because it makes for a much simpler and consistent product. I got a Green Mountain which has the wireless controller which I can program, makes for a very simple experience. I would say it is the smoker for dummies but the results are darn good, especially with quality pellets. That is something that I have noticed, less expensive pellets sometimes don't delivery the smoky flavor that I desire.

If you are just starting go with a pellet smoker and learn by tweaking recipes. If you desire a more challenging but albeit better flavor experience go to charcoal or wood smoker and have the pellet as backup or as an outdoor oven. My Green Mountain can go from 150 to 500 degrees and maintain that temperature for long periods of time. Of course higher temp requires more pellets and occasionally refilling the hopper. But works very well.

I've been curious about the green mountain. Do you like it overall? Would you recommend it over others?
Mosster47
Tru said:

Tualatinduck said:

It's too warm to cook inside anyways.

I do have a 15" cast iron pan that I've been experimenting on. Made some great steaks a couple weeks back. It's still a work in progress
I live pretty close to the Lodge factory and the 2nds are really cheap.

I bought the big grill pan last weekend and did some really thick pork chops on it a few days ago. I was very happy with the results. I threw out the last of mt stainless steel pans and I'm full cast iron now. They are just amazing.
Mosster47
Seeinggreen said:

pwhoffman said:

I've been curious about the green mountain. Do you like it overall? Would you recommend it over others?
I have a GM also (biggest model), but mine was built before all the fancy stuff. It has the most head room, the worst 2nd rack humanly possible, and the highest angle drip pan. I also used to own the little portable GM when I lived in Oregon and camped a lot. The direct fire option on that one was great.

The one thing that I really don't like about mine is the drip pan and maybe the newer ones have changes, but on the high side of the drip pan it runs so much hotter. The cook time between the two ends can be a 30 to 60 minute difference depending on overall cook length.

Overall it has been completely bullet proof and it has at least 300 hours on it. There are so many options out there and most of them are made in China. The biggest thing is making sure you have enough grill space for what you need to cook.
Page 1 of 3

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.