Smoking/bbq

4,172 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by JurisDucktor
JurisDucktor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PSA, Kroger / Fred Meyer have their baby backs going 1.99 a lb until 7/2, comes out to about five bucks a rack. All of the pork in mine (WA) is buy one get one free, too. Not butcher quality but a hard to beat price.
thevowel
I had a brisket that wasn't well-marbled and too much to do to babysit it, so I gave it a little more than 24 hours in the sous-vide and finished it on the smoker.

OregonDonor
Seeinggreen said:

Interesting! My wife would be less concerned about the investment and more unhappy I brought another thing we have to find a place to store.
I hear that. We just got a storage space recently so we could thin out the garage and attic a little.
JurisDucktor
oh man that's fantastic. alright I think it's about time I pull the trigger on the sous vide haha
onaduck
I think if I'm making pulled pork in the oven the temperature doesn't matter as much. On a smoker, I'd stick to low and slow and 225. In the oven, I think 270 would be fine. Just pull it when the internal temperature is right.
OregonDonor
JurisDucktor said:

PSA, Kroger / Fred Meyer have their baby backs going 1.99 a lb until 7/2, comes out to about five bucks a rack. All of the pork in mine (WA) is buy one get one free, too. Not butcher quality but a hard to beat price.

That's a pretty good deal. Wish I would have seen your post sooner. Bought two racks of baby backs from Costco yesterday for $3.99 /lb and a 15 lb pork shoulder butt that I'm smoking today for my daughters birthday. Took the day off work and stuck it on the grill at 5 AM. I'll probably put the ribs on around 11.
OregonDonor
http://instagr.am/p/Bze0dHTFfnn
JurisDucktor
Can never go wrong with Costco quality IMO.

Also, Happy 4th everyone! I've got my three racks of babybacks going right now, anyone else cooking?
Dewey
JurisDucktor said:

Also, Happy 4th everyone! I've got my three racks of babybacks going right now, anyone else cooking?

Slept two hours since yesterday and just put the brisket in the cooler. Now it's time for jalapeo poppers on the charcoal grill for the appetizer
Cmon, get serious!!
OregonDonor
JurisDucktor said:

Got the house to ourselves today(kids are with friends) so I'm brewing a batch of beer right now, charcoal barbecuing a couple nice rib-eye steaks for dinner, then I'll be drinking and trying to keep my dogs from going into full panic mode with the fireworks later tonight.

I could light off a mortar 20 feet away from my old dog and he didn't think twice about it. Our new dogs will be hiding under tables and beds, pissing themselves.
Ugh. Happy 4th everybody!
EHallam
Hopefully people post pics of their delicious food because I'm hungry and won't be able to eat for a few hours.
Mosster47
Seeinggreen said:

JurisDucktor said:

That's what I figured. I'm just going to assume he uses very high quality meat and he can do 270 because of that. literally every other place says 225 so I'll stick with that. Thank you!

My understanding is that lower and slower is better. I assume 270 could work but I also imagine the margins for error there is pretty tight.
I have played around with pulled pork a zillion times. If you can get six hours at 225 that's as barked out and smoke ringed as it's going to get. Just get it up to temperature after that. At the six hour mark I wrap it in foil and bump it to 350 to get it up ASAP.

Biggest thing is to keep the drippings and mix it back into the shredded pork with more rub.

A pro tip for transporting and planning for big events is when the butt or shoulder hits 190 leave it in the foil and wrap each butt or shoulder in a towel then place it in a cooler. It will stay at shredding and serving temp for about 10 hours this way.
Pick6
thevowel said:

I think using charcoal taught me a lot that makes my bbq results better today, but I finally switched to a pellet smoker because I wanted to be able to sleep through the night without getting up every 60-90 minutes to check on things.
I also learned with charcoal. My first smoker had an offset fire box that I'd get going with charcoal and then add wood to throughout the day or night. Now, I have a Traeger. It obviously takes a lot of the work away from smoking, like getting up throughout the night to check your fire. But, after having a Traeger for the last 4-5 years I think that I'm going to go back to charcoal and wood. I think that the product tastes better, and I enjoy the time that I spend out there checking on the fire. I also might enjoy the beer drinking that goes along with that.
Pick6
Mosster47 said:

Seeinggreen said:

JurisDucktor said:

That's what I figured. I'm just going to assume he uses very high quality meat and he can do 270 because of that. literally every other place says 225 so I'll stick with that. Thank you!

My understanding is that lower and slower is better. I assume 270 could work but I also imagine the margins for error there is pretty tight.
I have played around with pulled pork a zillion times. If you can get six hours at 225 that's as barked out and smoke ringed as it's going to get. Just get it up to temperature after that. At the six hour mark I wrap it in foil and bump it to 350 to get it up ASAP.

Biggest thing is to keep the drippings and mix it back into the shredded pork with more rub.

A pro tip for transporting and planning for big events is when the butt or shoulder hits 190 leave it in the foil and wrap each butt or shoulder in a towel then place it in a cooler. It will stay at shredding and serving temp for about 10 hours this way.
I'm a big cooler fan as well. There have been several times when my pork has been done well before it should have been. Wrapped it, placed it in the cooler, and shredded it for the party later. It's always been fantastic. Also, solid point on mixing all of the juices back in. I also sprinkle some rub back into it as well.
JurisDucktor
Well, it's been a while since I've had the chance to bbq so I offered to have a family dinner at our place tomorrow. I stopped by Costco and got a 14 lb brisket and some babybacks. I've never done a brisket before and plan on copying Aaron franklin, but still nervous about how it's gonna turn out! Excited to try something new though
Page 3 of 3

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.