Dabo Sweeney comments

599 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Superduckdc
Ducks.23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ignorant comment by him in my opinion.

https://thespun.com/college-football/paul-finebaum-reacts-to-dabo-swinneys-osama-bin-dabo-quote
Thor RagnaDuck
I can't even imagine what demographic would find that insulting. Islamic radicals, maybe? idk
Dougts
" I don't know about walls, but I am kinda like Osama bin Dabo," Swinney said, with a laugh. "I have to navigate my way through the caves and back channels too make my way through Alabama these days. They aren't happy to see me, but it's all good. It's a good problem."

There is nothing racial or religious there. It was a bit of a play on words and a analogy about having to hide out in Alabama. It's a Joke. Nothing insensitive or demeaning. Jeez. Finebaum is such a tool. No way that dude is actually bothered by this, he's just trying to get ratings by playing to the faux outrage culture
Ducks.23
I am pretty right wing and absolutely abhor the PC culture but still thought it was pretty ignorant statement by Dabo. I mean nothing to rake him over the coals about but still dumb comment in my opinion. I also happened to post Feinbaum comments but the offense I heard mostly about was people believing his comments were insensitive to events of 9/11.
Dougts
Ducks.23 said:

I am pretty right wing and absolutely abhor the PC culture but still thought it was pretty ignorant statement by Dabo. I mean nothing to rake him over the coals about but still dumb comment in my opinion. I also happened to post Feinbaum comments but the offense I heard mostly about was people believing his comments were insensitive to events of 9/11.

What's ignorant about it? I'm trying to look at it through other lenses but I just don't see anything there.

Insensitive to 9/11? It has nothing to do with 9/11. Late night comedians were making jokes all throughout the 00s about bin laden hiding in caves. It's a reflection on the fact he was on the run and hiding out from the US military's best efforts to find him.

Joking about the events of 9/11 or the WTC falling would be insensitive. It's a huge stretch to say joking about bin laden in caves is somehow insensitive to 9/11. Just don't see how you get from here to there without really trying way to hard to navigate that path.
Ducks.23
Dougts said:

Ducks.23 said:

What's ignorant about it? I'm trying to look at it through other lenses but I just don't see anything there.

Insensitive to 9/11? It has nothing to do with 9/11. Late night comedians were making jokes all throughout the 00s about bin laden hiding in caves. It's a reflection on the fact he was on the run and hiding out from the US military's best efforts to find him.

Joking about the events of 9/11 or the WTC falling would be insensitive. It's a huge stretch to say joking about bin laden in caves is somehow insensitive to 9/11. Just don't see how you get from here to there without really trying way to hard to navigate that path.

Just an ignorant comparison in my opinion. Did he have evil or malicious intent? I would say most definitely not but he just pulled out a weird/odd/ignorant comparison off the top of his head. I do believe it is not news worthy and I do believe the "9/11 offensive comments" are a major reach just an FYI. It was Just a hair brained statement nothing more or nothing less. I just thought I would bring it to the board for a discussion because it was trending today.
SaudiDuck
I get it, OBL is the 9/11 mastermind which makes it a faux pas to bring him up in any context outside of 9/11 and just being a terrible person in general worthy of getting his head split open by a few gun shots then dumped in the middle of the ocean.

This is an overreach though, at least IMO. The comment was made in jest. The connection to OBL is that he has to hide when recruiting in Bama and OBL was damn good at hiding for well over a decade. Like many other 'controversies' nowadays, this just stinks of people looking for a reason to be offended or be up in arms. Seems like a full time job for a good portion of our populace nowadays. I can't wait to hear the spicy hot takes on FS1 and ESPN about this.
Mosster47
Ducks.23 said:

Absolutely everything is insensitive to someone or something.

Something as simple as "I like hamburgers" is insensitive to PETA and animal rights activists, people with celiac disease that can't eat bread with gluten, etc.

Media and publications used to only sell things to the interested parties, but now they sell the negative side to uninterested parties. It's good business, but I'm not sure it has been a net positive for society.
Superduckdc
It was a poor attempt at being funny and nothing more.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.