The firearms enthusiast thread. Vets/LEO/2ND/Owners ONLY!!!

9,240 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by RedSoxDuck
PeninsulaDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am sticking my neck out here, wondering if we can broach this as adults and ONLY FIREARMS OWNERS can speak here? Veterans, law enforcement, and 2nd amendment need only apply here, ok?

****IF this allowed to stand by the boss here, let's keep this STRICTLY about the tools that go bang! and no politics*****
PeninsulaDuck
What is your favorite gun and why?

Mine is the old Hi-Standard (not manufactured anymore) single/double nine .22lr revolver my father taught me on at the age of 10. 9 round cylinder, nickel plated, just a ton of fun!
I own it and possess it now and my son has been eyeballing it for some time now. He knows it will be his someday!
DJDuck
Actually mine is my PMR 30. 30 rds. of 22 magnum. It's easy to shoot, hardly any recoil, extremely accurate and what's not to like about 30 rds.
Tualatinduck
M16A1, no question. Don't have a level 3 license or I'd own one.
PeninsulaDuck
My number one carry weapon is my Sig Sauer P229. In .40, altho I am eyeballing the .357 barrel. Mags carry both and my son had a .357 Sig and when that thing cracked off the first time I heard it it really surprised me with how hard it sounded! Same same as a .357 mag in an auto loader?
Yes please!!!
Tualatinduck
I'm about to buy a small 9mm. Swore after the army I wouldn't own a firearm but never say never.
Jay Picante
JFC
PeninsulaDuck
Tualatinduck said:

I'm about to buy a small 9mm. Swore after the army I wouldn't own a firearm but never say never.

Several sub compacts out there that interest me, personally. Always a Sig fan myself, but have several guys I know that love the Springfield XD series and they come in 9, 40, and 45acp if you can believe that. You can get mad extenders as well so you aren't holding onto it with 2 fingers. I am looking at the springers right now. Like and robust.
PeninsulaDuck
DJDuck said:

Actually mine is my PMR 30. 30 rds. of 22 magnum. It's easy to shoot, hardly any recoil, extremely accurate and what's not to like about 30 rds.

Sounds like a fun piece!

If this thread sticks, we should start pics of some stuff at some point, even if just file pics.
Tru
RowdySpiceBoy said:

JFC

Didn't know he carried. You learn something new everyday.
Tru
Lining my boys up with hunter safety classes this summer. That means the old Remington bolt action 22 is making a comeback
DJDuck
PeninsulaDuck said:

DJDuck said:

Sounds like a fun piece!

If this thread sticks, we should start pics of some stuff at some point, even if just file pics.
PeninsulaDuck
Tru said:

Lining my boys up with hunter safety classes this summer. That means the old Remington bolt action 22 is making a comeback

A classic for sure.
Tualatinduck
My buddy just picked up a 9mm at fisherman's this last weekend. Chrome polished with poly grips, 279.
Packin Ducks
Tualatinduck said:

AI'm about to buy a small 9mm. Swore after the army I wouldn't own a firearm but never say never.
I would really recommend a Glock 43.
Packin Ducks
DJDuck said:

It's cool and really light weight but my mags suck. They don't like to take rounds past about 26 or so.
Tualatinduck
Haven't even considered brand yet.
PeninsulaDuck
Tualatinduck said:

Haven't even considered brand yet.

A lot of ranges will let you rent several at a time, as long as you buy their ammo. It's an excellent way to see what fits your hand and what feels comfortable and controllable. Pretty good way to go IMO. Gonna have the wife do that soon. She wants a 9mm.
Tualatinduck
The G43 and P365 both look interesting.
Mosster47
I'm like Quigley when it comes to pistols. I shot marksman with the M9 and I own them, but I don't like them.

I've had several, but a 308 distance build is my favorite. They are cheap to build, reload, and super reliable out to 800.
Tualatinduck
I'm primarily a rifle guy myself but I'm looking for home protection and possibly CC.
PeninsulaDuck
Mosster47 said:

I'm like Quigley when it comes to pistols. I shot marksman with the M9 and I own them, but I don't like them.

I've had several, but a 308 distance build is my favorite. They are cheap to build, reload, and super reliable out to 800.

Actually been thinking about a 308 lately. What do you suggest?
Mosster47
PeninsulaDuck said:

Mosster47 said:

The 700 platform is the Honda Civic of rifles so absolutely every option is available for it. If you're looking to do a total build find the cheapest used 700 you can and tear it apart and go from there. Glass and pillar bedding are really easy to do yourself and I always recommend that. Stock rigidity is extremely important, but there are cheap ways around buying an HS or McMillan.

The best/cheapest 308 I have ever had was a Savage with an Accu-Stock. It's really simple technology which basically pillar beds your recoil lug in a really janky way. Put a Vortex 4-16 on it. I believe it was the PST tactical model. Did the normal reload build up five shot grouping by .5 grain increments, found the sweet spot, and we were able to shoot well under MOA at 800. That was with cheap lead too, 180gr Speer Boat Tails.

Savage in my experience is always the most accurate out of the box, Remington is way over priced but has all the options, Winchester is for sentimental value, Browning is for people that buy a Lincoln over a Ford, and Sako is for people that want you to know they have more money than you. There are other brands but I would wager 90% of the bolt guns in America are one of those five brands or an offshoot like Tikka.
LikeLamike
Nothing special, but I rock a 30-06 for Deer season and Benelli Nova for pheasant season (and usually keep it loaded in gun case cause you never know). I think AR15s are cool and might look into getting a hand gun, but never have felt the need for anything much more than what I roll with I guess lol.

On the other hand, my buddy has a ridiculously built AR15 for Coyote hunting. Thermal Scope, Silencer, and DIY Camo Tech Paint. Its pretty filthy.

Here is a linked Pic (warning dead coyote):

https://imgur.com/a/HHYlhwj
Mosster47
LikeLamike said:

Nothing special, but I rock a 30-06 for Deer season and Benelli Nova for pheasant season (and usually keep it loaded in gun case cause you never know). I think AR15s are cool and might look into getting a hand gun, but never have felt the need for anything much more than what I roll with I guess lol.

On the other hand, my buddy has a ridiculously built AR15 for Coyote hunting. Thermal Scope, Silencer, and DIY Camo Tech Paint. Its pretty filthy.

That's a sweet AR! I would coyote hunt about 200 days a year the nine years I lived in AZ. I have a pimped out 700 desert digital 223, but I've maybe gotten ten dogs with it. When you are in the flat lands that muzzle blast carries on forever so it was basically one shot, end the day or move to a totally different range. I've taken well over 500 yotes with a 17HMR. You can shoot that, move 150 yards and get right back to calling.

In eastern Oregon where the shots can range out as long as you want a larger gun makes sense (definitely not a 223), but in that cactus world with 25 yard or closer shots that HMR is ultimate tool for the job.
kachnydotoho
Nerf Rival Phantom Corps Hades XVIII-6000 household here.
LikeLamike
Mosster47 said:

LikeLamike said:

That's a sweet AR! I would coyote hunt about 200 days a year the nine years I lived in AZ. I have a pimped out 700 desert digital 223, but I've maybe gotten ten dogs with it. When you are in the flat lands that muzzle blast carries on forever so it was basically one shot, end the day or move to a totally different range. I've taken well over 500 yotes with a 17HMR. You can shoot that, move 150 yards and get right back to calling.

In eastern Oregon where the shots can range out as long as you want a larger gun makes sense (definitely not a 223), but in that cactus world with 25 yard or closer shots that HMR is ultimate tool for the job.
Yea he definitely is liking the Silencer addition on his AR. It really is fun going out late at night with the thermal and downing dogs. We've had a pretty bad issue with high Coyote numbers in rural SD the last couple of years so its a good excuse to go shooting. I think the whole gun probably cost him around 10k lol. He also has a custom built .308 Rifle for deer season that is amazing. He put on a $4500 scope that can shoot up to 1500 meters. Like I said, dude loves his guns and shooting.
Tualatinduck
kachnydotoho said:

Nerf Rival Phantom Corps Hades XVIII-6000 household here.

That's a bad ass nerf gun!
PeninsulaDuck
Mosster47 said:

PeninsulaDuck said:

Mosster47 said:

The 700 platform is the Honda Civic of rifles so absolutely every option is available for it. If you're looking to do a total build find the cheapest used 700 you can and tear it apart and go from there. Glass and pillar bedding are really easy to do yourself and I always recommend that. Stock rigidity is extremely important, but there are cheap ways around buying an HS or McMillan.

The best/cheapest 308 I have ever had was a Savage with an Accu-Stock. It's really simple technology which basically pillar beds your recoil lug in a really janky way. Put a Vortex 4-16 on it. I believe it was the PST tactical model. Did the normal reload build up five shot grouping by .5 grain increments, found the sweet spot, and we were able to shoot well under MOA at 800. That was with cheap lead too, 180gr Speer Boat Tails.

Savage in my experience is always the most accurate out of the box, Remington is way over priced but has all the options, Winchester is for sentimental value, Browning is for people that buy a Lincoln over a Ford, and Sako is for people that want you to know they have more money than you. There are other brands but I would wager 90% of the bolt guns in America are one of those five brands or an offshoot like Tikka.
does it matter the age of the 700? I just got rid of a 700 in 243 because the ****ty trigger system that they wouldn't voluntarily recall. Really turned me off to buying Remington products in the future unless they are more vintage- before the whole x trigger system and before the buyout from the hedge funders. I like the concept you describe tho... got my wheels turning now Moss.
Packin Ducks
PeninsulaDuck said:

What is your favorite gun and why?

Mine is the old Hi-Standard (not manufactured anymore) single/double nine .22lr revolver my father taught me on at the age of 10. 9 round cylinder, nickel plated, just a ton of fun!
I own it and possess it now and my son has been eyeballing it for some time now. He knows it will be his someday!
My personal faves

Hand guns

Revolver- S&W TRR8
Semi -Volquartzen Scorpion

Rifles

Bolt- Cooper .308
Semi- Christensen CA-15

And pretty much any lever gun.
Mosster47
PeninsulaDuck said:

Mosster47 said:

PeninsulaDuck said:

Mosster47 said:

does it matter the age of the 700? I just got rid of a 700 in 243 because the ****ty trigger system that they wouldn't voluntarily recall. Really turned me off to buying Remington products in the future unless they are more vintage- before the whole x trigger system and before the buyout from the hedge funders. I like the concept you describe tho... got my wheels turning now Moss.
Yep, the X-trigger. My last 223 build had one. I just replaced it with a Timney. Made in Phoenix, AZ and as good as it gets. No creep, consistent travel and pull weight. The Savage Accu-trigger is by far the best stock trigger. My Lapua was a Savage with an HS stock that I added three pounds of lead shot w/epoxy to the inside of the butt for recoil and rigidity. We could hit cinder block out to 2,000 meters with an accu-trigger.
Packin Ducks
The Geissele Super 700 is the best trigger I've ever used on a Rem 700. It's spendy but 2 stage that really helps with accuracy.
jhop
Staff
Thread is fine. Please leave the politics at home.

If you are not pro firearms, don't enter. Simple.
BoiseDuck
Tualatinduck said:

M16A1, no question. Don't have a level 3 license or I'd own one.
Are you an FFL and talking about not having a SOT 03 or are you a Non-FFL saying you would like to own a M16A1 ?
BoiseDuck
Mosster47 said:

One of the least known, but best calibers there is in my opinion, especially suppressed (For Critters, not Warfare)
Page 1 of 6

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.