The firearms enthusiast thread. Vets/LEO/2ND/Owners ONLY!!!

10,041 Views | 187 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by OTIME
Tualatinduck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FFL?
PeninsulaDuck
Tualatinduck said:

FFL?

Federal Firearms License. You need one to become a dealer but also to get certain tax stamps to legally purchase things like a full auto weapon or lower receiver in the case of m16/m4 variants and like suppressor and things.
PeninsulaDuck
LikeLamike said:

Nothing special, but I rock a 30-06 for Deer season and Benelli Nova for pheasant season (and usually keep it loaded in gun case cause you never know). I think AR15s are cool and might look into getting a hand gun, but never have felt the need for anything much more than what I roll with I guess lol.

On the other hand, my buddy has a ridiculously built AR15 for Coyote hunting. Thermal Scope, Silencer, and DIY Camo Tech Paint. Its pretty filthy.

Here is a linked Pic (warning dead coyote):

https://imgur.com/a/HHYlhwj

I like the full stock on that. Gives it a different look and feel!
Is incur easy to use? Thinking I might wanna throw a few pics up but not real techy
Tualatinduck
No, I would own on for personal use. Believe that's a class 3 license but not an FFL.
PeninsulaDuck
Packin Ducks said:

PeninsulaDuck said:

What is your favorite gun and why?

Mine is the old Hi-Standard (not manufactured anymore) single/double nine .22lr revolver my father taught me on at the age of 10. 9 round cylinder, nickel plated, just a ton of fun!
I own it and possess it now and my son has been eyeballing it for some time now. He knows it will be his someday!
My personal faves

Hand guns

Revolver- S&W TRR8
Semi -Volquartzen Scorpion

Rifles

Bolt- Cooper .308
Semi- Christensen CA-15

And pretty much any lever gun.

Lever guns are bad ass. I currently don't have one but my kid has two. Both Marlins, one is a 30-30 (good brush gun) and the other is a .44 mag he got to go boar hunting in Texas. Talk about a smooth recoul, that 44 is a Cadillac... could fire that all day!
PeninsulaDuck
Tualatinduck said:

No, I would own on for personal use. Believe that's a class 3 license but not an FFL.

That could be. All I know is i can't afford one lol. My AR is pretty sweet tho. Tons of work done to it but she is so fine now!!! Just need a foregrip because that barrel should I free floated doesn't hide heat worth a damn haha!
Tualatinduck
I qualified for sniper school while in with one, it was a great feeling because it took me by surprise. My drill sergeant as well.

Oregon has a few places that sell them but they require a federal license. Not sure what it's called but not dealer level.
PeninsulaDuck
Tualatinduck said:

I qualified for sniper school while in with one, it was a great feeling because it took me by surprise. My drill sergeant as well.

Oregon has a few places that sell them but they require a federal license. Not sure what it's called but not dealer level.

My kid brother was one bad shot away from qualifying. He took it HARD not getting in (also army)
BoiseDuck
Tualatinduck said:

So as a Non-FFL holder it is relatively easy, but lengthy process (8 months) to acquire a Transferable M16A1. You do not need a license. You and the FFL selling the M16A1 file a ATF Form 4, along with your finger prints, passport photos and one time $200 fee (the "tax"). The FFL handling the transfer does most of the work. Then sit back and wait approximately 8 months for the ATF to process and run a back ground check on you. BTW- This is the same process for obtaining suppressors and SBR's.

That's the easy part, the hard and costly part is finding a transferable M16A1, they are out there, but they range in price from $20,000 to $40,000 depending on the model and condition.

I am an FFL 07 (Manufacturer) with an 02 Special Occupational Tax License (SOT), if this is something you are truly interested in, I would be happy to walk you though everything (at no cost, I am not soliciting business).
PeninsulaDuck
BoiseDuck said:

Tualatinduck said:

So as a Non-FFL holder it is relatively easy, but lengthy process (8 months) to acquire a Transferable M16A1. You do not need a license. You and the FFL selling the M16A1 file a ATF Form 4, along with your finger prints, passport photos and one time $200 fee (the "tax"). The FFL handling the transfer does most of the work. Then sit back and wait approximately 8 months for the ATF to process and run a back ground check on you. BTW- This is the same process for obtaining suppressors and SBR's.

That's the easy part, the hard and costly part is finding a transferable M16A1, they are out there, but they range in price from $20,000 to $40,000 depending on the model and condition.

I am an FFL 07 (Manufacturer) with an 02 Special Occupational Tax License (SOT), if this is something you are truly interested in, I would be happy to walk you though everything (at no cost, I am not soliciting business).
Manufacturer, eh? As in you can manufacture a firearm legally?
Tualatinduck
20-40 grand? Holy hell! Also I've never been out of country as a citizen. Is passport a requirement?
Tualatinduck
We are talking the same weapon right! M16A2, post Vietnam?
PeninsulaDuck
Tualatinduck said:

Yup. I think anything from 1986 and older can be bought and sold. Not a damn thing manufactured beyond '86 though, atleast as far as I know... BoiseDuck may know more...

Edit, BUT, you are basically paying for the lower reciever with the serial number, and I am pretty sure you can take that and build a different weapon altogether , but yeah hence why I was saying I could never afford it lol.
BoiseDuck
Tualatinduck said:

20-40 grand? Holy hell! Also I've never been out of country as a citizen. Is passport a requirement?
No, you do not need a passport, just passport photos taken at the local drug store.
Tualatinduck
But seriously 20-40 grand? I swear you could get one around 9/11 for 1200.
BoiseDuck
PeninsulaDuck said:

BoiseDuck said:

Tualatinduck said:

Yes, exactly and with the 02 SOT I can assemble FA and SMG's (for LE) and short barreled rifles for the public.
PeninsulaDuck
BoiseDuck said:

PeninsulaDuck said:

BoiseDuck said:

Tualatinduck said:

Yes, exactly and with the 02 SOT I can assemble FA and SMG's (for LE) and short barreled rifles for the public.

Oooooo am I gonna have questions for you in the future! :thumbsup:
Actually I have one now... how much skill do I need to complete an 80% lower for an AR platform?
BoiseDuck
Tualatinduck said:

But seriously 20-40 grand? I swear you could get one around 9/11 for 1200.
I think that may have been for Post 86 Sample that could only be sold to an FFL with 03 or 02 SOT License. This may be where your thought of needing a Class 3 License came from. Which you would have been correct in this case.
Tualatinduck
I'm talking Vietnam era M16. It was my best friend.
Tualatinduck
Here is my reasoning.

The Ak47 vs the M16A1 where two completely different philosophies in warfare. The Chinese and Russians wanted a long range hammer. The US wanted a long range damage dealer.

The AK47 at .762 would hit and hit like an anvil. Small entry, huge exit.

The M16, was a precision weapon. Softer billet the bounced.

Ak47 would hit and go straight through. M16 would hit in the thigh and come out the shoulder.

Again, different philosophies. But damn I'd love to have one.
BoiseDuck
PeninsulaDuck said:

Tualatinduck said:

Yup. Anything from 1986 and older can be bought and sold. Not a damn thing manufactured beyond '86 though, at least as far as I know... BoiseDuck may know more...

Edit, BUT, you are basically paying for the lower reciever with the serial number, and I am pretty sure you can take that and build a different weapon altogether , but yeah hence why I was saying I could never afford it lol.

2nd Edit: I am not trying to dominate this thread, just trying to nurture it along for now, so hopefully I don't come across as a thread hog here or a know it all.
You are essentially correct in everything you said, with just a few clarifications.Not all Pre 86 Full Auto's are available to be sold to the public (with Form 4 Tax Stamp), only the ones that were in the the registry at the time the ban went into effect. These are referred to as "Fully Transferable" , there are less than 183,000 machine guns in the USA that are "Fully Transferable" and most are in collectors hands, which is why the prices are so high.

As far as the Post 86 Machine Guns they can be sold, but only to an FFL 07 SOT 02 or an FFL 1 (Dealer) with an SOT 03 that have a letter from local law enforcement requesting a demo on a specific Post 86 machine gun. The caveat is once an SOT holder gives up his license, everything must be either destroyed (or converted back to semi-auto) or sold to another SOT holder.
BoiseDuck
PeninsulaDuck said:

BoiseDuck said:

PeninsulaDuck said:

Oooooo am I gonna have questions for you in the future! :thumbsup:
Actually I have one now... how much skill do I need to complete an 80% lower for an AR platform?
Haha, no problem. I love discussing firearms. As far as skill, I would recommend watching a few youtube videos, then decide if you want to try. I have seen some people use hand held drills, but I would recommend at least a drill press or ideally a milling machine. Remember, YOU have to do the drilling/cutting in order to keep it legal.
PeninsulaDuck
BoiseDuck said:

PeninsulaDuck said:

Tualatinduck said:

Yup. Anything from 1986 and older can be bought and sold. Not a damn thing manufactured beyond '86 though, at least as far as I know... BoiseDuck may know more...

2nd Edit: I am not trying to dominate this thread, just trying to nurture it along for now, so hopefully I don't come across as a thread hog here or a know it all.
You are essentially correct in everything you said, with just a few clarifications.Not all Pre 86 Full Auto's are available to be sold to the public (with Form 4 Tax Stamp), only the ones that were in the the registry at the time the ban went into effect. These are referred to as "Fully Transferable" , there are less than 183,000 machine guns in the USA that are "Fully Transferable" and most are in collectors hands, which is why the prices are so high.

As far as the Post 86 Machine Guns they can be sold, but only to an FFL 07 SOT 02 or an FFL 1 (Dealer) with an SOT 03 that have a letter from local law enforcement requesting a demo on a specific Post 86 machine gun. The caveat is once an SOT holder gives up his license, everything must be either destroyed (or converted back to semi-auto) or sold to another SOT holder.
Thank you for the information here BD, I thought you would be the one to clarify this!!!
Such a shame on the whole thing though. But it is what it is.

This is gonna be a fun thread!!
PeninsulaDuck
Tualatinduck said:

Here is my reasoning.

The Ak47 vs the M16A1 where two completely different philosophies in warfare. The Chinese and Russians wanted a long range hammer. The US wanted a long range damage dealer.

The AK47 at .762 would hit and hit like an anvil. Small entry, huge exit.

The M16, was a precision weapon. Softer billet the bounced.

Ak47 would hit and go straight through. M16 would hit in the thigh and come out the shoulder.

Again, different philosophies. But damn I'd love to have one.
You can do one that is only semi-auto all day long.
Tualatinduck
Might as well run a marathon on one leg......
PeninsulaDuck
Tualatinduck said:

Might as well run a marathon on one leg......
Maybe. But if you shot mine you might warm to the idea.....
Tualatinduck
LMAO
PeninsulaDuck

Two of my go to's...
Mosster47
PeninsulaDuck said:

Two of my go to's...
I used to have that comforter back in the day.
DJDuck
I am 72 yrs old and carry wherever I go. I have arthritic hands. I recently purchased a S&W M&P .380 EZ

Great gun for us seniors. Easy to rack. Easy to load. Easy to shoot and virtually no recoil. Has 2 safeties.

https://www.usacarry.com/shooting-golden-years/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=USACarry&utm_content=Shooting%20into%20Your%20Golden%20Years
Tualatinduck
If you were to purchase a hand gun for home protection, what caliber would you choose and why?
BoiseDuck
Tualatinduck said:

If you were to purchase a hand gun for home protection, what caliber would you choose and why?
It's a personal preference and what you are the most comfortable with.

Personally I would say a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with a mounted flashlight. I know this isn't a hand gun, but if a stressful situation arises and you a forced to have to defend yourself, you want to make sure you hit the intended target, while also being aware of over penetration with the wall behind the target.

If I had to pick a hand gun caliber for home defense, it would be the .40 caliber, but again that's just me. Certainly nothing wrong with a 9mm or even a .380. I just wouldn't recommend a .45, most people cannot shoot a .45 very well under normal conditions, let alone under stressful circumstances. My comments on the .45 may not apply to you, since I believe you were in the military in the 70's and were probably weened on a 1911 .45
hawaiiduck1
RowdySpiceBoy said:

KFC
FIFY
hawaiiduck1
PeninsulaDuck said:

Two of my go to's...
Those are beautiful...

I've been thinking about investing in a shotgun, and I've always had it in my mind to get one with a pistol grip, but my brother-in-law is apparently a shotgun "purist" and he thinks I shouldn't. What are your thoughts on that?
BoiseDuck
hawaiiduck1 said:

RowdySpiceBoy said:

KFC
FIFY
Not that I don't appreciate the correction, but I really like this thread and don't want to see it turn into Woodshed thread and get locked. I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, but for me, I am just going to completely ignore anyone who posts negative comments in this thread.

Page 2 of 6

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.