The firearms enthusiast thread. Vets/LEO/2ND/Owners ONLY!!!

9,942 Views | 187 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by OTIME
PeninsulaDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hawaiiduck1 said:

PeninsulaDuck said:

Two of my go to's...
Those are beautiful...

I've been thinking about investing in a shotgun, and I've always had it in my mind to get one with a pistol grip, but my brother-in-law is apparently a shotgun "purist" and he thinks I shouldn't. What are your thoughts on that?

I'm not a purist, I'm a job driven type of guy. All my weapons have specific tasks I ask of them. To your question specifically, that particular 12 gauge in my picture is close quarter combat only. It came with a standard stock, and an optional just handgrip as well, but I wanted the combination of control with the handgrip but also recoil control aka a shoulder stock so I bought that one aftermarket. And trust me, with heavy combat loads or high speed big steel shot, you need that shoulder as a backstop. The short barrel makes it a very violent recoil. I wouldn't hunt or skeet shoot with this but I do have a standard pump that looks similar to this one seen here but with standard stock and 28 inch barrel as opposed to the 18 incher on this one. Mossberg makes outstanding shotguns and I trust my riot gun here with my life.

Does that answer your question Hawaiiduck?
hawaiiduck1
BoiseDuck said:

hawaiiduck1 said:

RowdySpiceBoy said:

KFC
FIFY
Not that I don't appreciate the correction, but I really like this thread and don't want to see it turn into Woodshed thread and get locked. I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, but for me, I am just going to completely ignore anyone who posts negative comments in this thread.

You're absolutely right, I'll do that going forward.
PeninsulaDuck
BoiseDuck said:

Tualatinduck said:

If you were to purchase a hand gun for home protection, what caliber would you choose and why?
It's a personal preference and what you are the most comfortable with.

Personally I would say a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with a mounted flashlight. I know this isn't a hand gun, but if a stressful situation arises and you a forced to have to defend yourself, you want to make sure you hit the intended target, while also being aware of over penetration with the wall behind the target.

If I had to pick a hand gun caliber for home defense, it would be the .40 caliber, but again that's just me. Certainly nothing wrong with a 9mm or even a .380. I just wouldn't recommend a .45, most people cannot shoot a .45 very well under normal conditions, let alone under stressful circumstances. My comments on the .45 may not apply to you, since I believe you were in the military in the 70's and were probably weened on a 1911 .45

I tend to agree with you on this. A large frame heavy slow round in a hollow point for max knockdown power but not penetrate and keep going, possibly resulting in collateral damage. .40, 10mm, and .45 acp will do the trick. I think a dumbed down .44 hollow point in a revolver would be effective as well. Not the pumped up mag rounds, the slower ones.
hawaiiduck1
PeninsulaDuck said:

Does that answer your question Hawaiiduck?
It absolutely does, thanks! I played around with a 20 gauge my dad had when I was younger, but other than that I've never really handled a shotgun, and I wanted to get one for home defense as well as taking out to a range of a buddy of mine.
Tualatinduck
Great insight! Goes back to my Ak47 vs M16A1 philosophy comparison.

Boise I was weened on the M16A1, I was early 90's era Army. Hence why I like the Vietnam era M16A1. I did basic with a weapon I am 100% sure killed people. Full integration to the M16A2 was still in progress for basic training units.

That aside, I like the low chance of collateral damage thought. I don't want a bullet that is just going to hammer straight through the target.
Tualatinduck
Also Boise for perspective, I started shooting a Savage 700 mag at around 11. Damn that thing kicked.
BoiseDuck
Tualatinduck said:

Also Boise for perspective, I started shooting a Savage 700 mag at around 11. Damn that thing kicked.
Damn, I think I was still with my Daisy Red Ryder when I was 11..........LOL
Tualatinduck
BoiseDuck said:

Tualatinduck said:

Damn, I think I was still with my Daisy Red Ryder when I was 11..........LOL

My dad thought it was funny, I wanted to shoot him for it! That was also when he made me shoot his 12 gage with 3" mag 4's. I remember the barrel staring me in the face after the shot it kicked so hard!
Packin Ducks
Tualatinduck said:

If you were to purchase a hand gun for home protection, what caliber would you choose and why?
If you were going to buy one gun, I would highly recommend a Taurus Judge or S&W Governor. They are both handguns that shoot .410 shot shells that won't (in most cases) go through walls and allows you to hit your target much easier under duress. You can also shoot .45 Long Colt in the same cylinder for a follow up shot if need to end the threat. That's my .02.
Tru
BoiseDuck said:

Tualatinduck said:

It's a personal preference and what you are the most comfortable with.

Personally I would say a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with a mounted flashlight. I know this isn't a hand gun, but if a stressful situation arises and you a forced to have to defend yourself, you want to make sure you hit the intended target, while also being aware of over penetration with the wall behind the target.

If I had to pick a hand gun caliber for home defense, it would be the .40 caliber, but again that's just me. Certainly nothing wrong with a 9mm or even a .380. I just wouldn't recommend a .45, most people cannot shoot a .45 very well under normal conditions, let alone under stressful circumstances. My comments on the .45 may not apply to you, since I believe you were in the military in the 70's and were probably weened on a 1911 .45

20 gauge with a mounted light is perfect for all the reason you listed Boise. A 12 might intimidate some persons of slighter builds or less strength but the 20 will bet the job done. And this applies to both home and outdoor events involving people or animals.

And when in the outdoors or rural areas having a road flare handy is always a good idea IMO.
PeninsulaDuck
Packin Ducks said:

Tualatinduck said:

If you were going to buy one gun, I would highly recommend a Taurus Judge or S&W Governor. They are both handguns that shoot .410 shot shells that won't (in most cases) go through walls and allows you to hit your target much easier under duress. You can also shoot .45 Long Colt in the same cylinder for a follow up shot if need to end the threat. That's my .02.
Eh.... personally I wouldn't touch either one of those. I will refrain from going into why other than you are asking too much of one platform and performance really REALLY suffers.

Others feel free to chime in here.
PeninsulaDuck
Got to play with one and dry fire it at the Sportsmans in Hillsboro about 6 years ago...

Dream a little dream...

BoiseDuck
PeninsulaDuck said:

Packin Ducks said:

Tualatinduck said:

Eh.... personally I wouldn't touch either one of those. I will refrain from going into why other than you are asking too much of one platform and performance really REALLY suffers.

I have a judge and it is a ton of fun to shoot, but it would not be my first choice for home defense for a couple of reasons. Also, you can not mount a light to it. I would not have my primary HD firearm not have a light mounted on it.
Mosster47
Tualatinduck said:

I got my 300 winny at the same age. I didn't even notice the recoil back then. Today I don't think I could fire it more than once without throwing in the towel.
Rhino59
I had a 308 ruger precision rifle that I liked because it got me into long range shooting at a budget compared to what customization would of cost.

I like my ea witness 10 mm full size but the ammo is expensive but has come down quite a bit . Much cheaper to load your own

I always have a soft spot for my ruger 10/22 because it was my 1st rifle and it can be customized any way you want

Also have a great condition Winchester 1890 pump with octagon barrel made in 1923 that shoots 22 wrf. Found it for a steal at a pawn shop. They started making the ammo again and it's a lot of fun to shoot

I have a friend that works for leupold and gets 50% off msrp so good deals on optics is always nice
👎🏻🐩
Rhino59
I think my next purchase will be a cz pistol because I've heard great things about them but still haven't tried them out yet.

It's either a cz or maybe a walther ppq match. If anyone has or had one I'd appreciate the input. Thanks
👎🏻🐩
Tualatinduck
My first rifle was a .22 single shot side load. Most unique rifle ive ever seen. Pull the action back, cock the barrel to the side to load and straight back up. I've never seen anything like it since. It was small bit squirrels didn't stand a chance.
Miggymvp4
Go with the cz rhino I absolutely love them I have a old beater 75 then also own a bunch of different clones based off cz design a sar k2 45 which i absolutely love 13 plus 1 in 45. Then I own a old imi baby eagle compact in 40 my normal carry gun but wish I had got it on nine or 45 dont like the snap of the 40 round. Then I have a cz p09 in forty full size polymer snap is not as bad since it's full size. I love the low axis of the barrel with the slide riding in the frame instead of on top. But one thing I do caution. Not the gun to choose if you dont have good hand strength can be hard to rack a round
Miggymvp4
But i also prefer a gun with a hammer over striker fired even though I do have a few striker fired. To me triggers are usually better on a gun with a hammer
Tualatinduck
I love this thread! Thank you all for participating. It's helpful to me.
PeninsulaDuck
Tualatinduck said:

My first rifle was a .22 single shot side load. Most unique rifle ive ever seen. Pull the action back, cock the barrel to the side to load and straight back up. I've never seen anything like it since. It was small bit squirrels didn't stand a chance.

I have the first rifle my dad taught me on. It's an old Savage something something that my grandfather bought my dad from a buddy at work. If not tonight, sometime this weekend (also bringing puppy home tomorrow!) I will post pics and model number and such. I can't wait to fire it again. Been like 35 years or so now. Maybe more. Finally talked the old man out of that and the old hi-standard pistol-- the two tools he taught me everything with.
Good times!
Packin Ducks
BoiseDuck said:

PeninsulaDuck said:

Packin Ducks said:

Tualatinduck said:

I have a judge and it is a ton of fun to shoot, but it would not be my first choice for home defense for a couple of reasons. Also, you can not mount a light to it. I would not have my primary HD firearm not have a light mounted on it.

Sorry guys. I was answering TD as if he would only be purchasing a single gun for home defense.

You can add a light to almost any platform BTW (even the Judge).

Preface- this is MY very opinionated thought process. I'm not presenting this as fact not open for discussion.

1. A shotgun is the best platform for home defense bar none. Unless you are using Turkey/buck/of other heavy shot, it generally will not go through your walls and hurt bystanders.

2. Accuracy. Under duress it's easier to hit targets with a shot spread than a single bullet.

3. Storage. Handguns are easier to store than long-guns. A biometric nightstand safe is about the best way to store a fire arm for safe storage and fast access. You can get under bed safes for long-guns but they are generally more expensive and can be cumbersome in a panic situation.

4. Revolver/wheel gun. Although limited by capacity, a revolver is the most reliable handgun platform. It's a really simple pull and go weapon. You can use it in single action if you choose as well. No inserting mags or racking slides, fouling/stove pipes.

5. Size. Pistols are smaller. They can be easily shot both single handed and off handed or If you need to open doors, ect. In tight quarters, generally, the shorter the gun the better.

6. Ammo options. You can load cylinder will all sorts of .410 and .45 Long Colt options and multiple combinations. That's pretty cool.

That was my logic based on a single gun. There are task specific guns that outperform the J&G in every individual way but no others that gives you so much versatility in a single gun.

Once again, just MY opinion. Would love to hear others thoughts on this logic and let me know if I missed something or if I'm off base.

I love this thread too. Thanks to all for not sniping (pun intended) like other threads tend to do. Please keep it up.
Tualatinduck
You guys have definitely given me a lot to think about.
PeninsulaDuck
Here is a thought... we should do something every Friday to start the weekend. A new series or find or whatever, and the more the merrier.

Found this today and thought I would share. History here folks! Have a great weekend!

PeninsulaDuck
Rhino59
Miggymvp4 said:

Go with the cz rhino I absolutely love them I have a old beater 75 then also own a bunch of different clones based off cz design a sar k2 45 which i absolutely love 13 plus 1 in 45. Then I own a old imi baby eagle compact in 40 my normal carry gun but wish I had got it on nine or 45 dont like the snap of the 40 round. Then I have a cz p09 in forty full size polymer snap is not as bad since it's full size. I love the low axis of the barrel with the slide riding in the frame instead of on top. But one thing I do caution. Not the gun to choose if you dont have good hand strength can be hard to rack a round

Thanks miggy! Yeah I appreciate the info and love the idea of the slide in the frame. The baby eagle definitely has me intrigued as well. I also love this thread
👎🏻🐩
PeninsulaDuck
Last one from me tonight... Just want to plant seeds in y'alls heads as to what we can do here. This is our forum.

DJDuck
Rhino59
DJDuck said:

That's one big potato cannon
👎🏻🐩
Tualatinduck
M105 howitzer.
PistolOverThePlace
Pdxbeerguy
Tualatinduck said:

My buddy just picked up a 9mm at fisherman's this last weekend. Chrome polished with poly grips, 279.

Fisherman's is not a bad place but when I lived in PDX I was a fan of NW Armory. Staff is knowledgeable and the prices are some of the best around. Whatever you do, don't shop Cabellas, as they seem to be the most expensive around.

I carry a S&W M&P Performance Center Shield 9mm. Easy to conceal. Very reliable. Have fun over 600 rounds though it and have never had it jam.
Miggymvp4
Love my baby eagle I got the early model with the safety on the slide instead of the frame I love it most people don't. I think the new ones switched to frame mounted safety. I've had mine for over a decade have at minimum a thousand rounds down range only time its had prproblems is with some crap reloads a buddy gave me and then it still fired just wouldn't eject
MarinerDNA
I own:

Saiga AK
Colt AR-15
Mosin Nagant

Will own in the near future:

Sig P365 - for carry
Typhoon F12 - 12 gauge semi-auto shotty
Remington 700 - long range
Ruger 10/22 - plinking

Have owned in the past:

Ruger SP101
Glock 36, 19
S&W MP 9mm
Kel-Tec .380

Im also looking to sell the AR on a slight discount or have it "fixed." The mag well annoys me. You have to thump the bottom on the first magazine. Ive just been dealing with it, but if I'm going to own an AR I want it working flawlessly. Thinking of of getting a Daniel Defense 6.5
Miggymvp4
Nice on the typhoon I picked up a panzer arms ar12
And it's a blast and cycled low brass shells right out of the box which surprised me. Kinda hard to beat going through 10 12 gauge shells as quick as you can pull the trigger
Page 3 of 6

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.