Team USA. became "The Ugly Americans" to many soccer fans

3,322 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by PeninsulaDuck
DJDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
US Women's Soccer Team Thrashes Thailand Immediately Becomes Everyone's Favorite to Lose after Excessive Celebrations

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/06/us-womens-soccer-team-immediately-becomes-everyones-favorite-to-lose-after-disgusting-celebrations/

"Popular soccer analyst Alexi Lalas perhaps said it best

They made themselves the new favorite to lose."
Tru
Julie Foudy was rather disgusted by their act as well. Continuing to attack is one thing but celebrating goals 11, 12 and 13 like 1 and 2 is poor sportsmanship. Teams are going to come after them. There are going to be some cheap and marginal plays. They better be ready. They made the bed of the villain and now it's time to deal with the consequences. I would expect some very rough play the next time the USWNT faces off against another eastern Pacific opponent.
NachoCheese
Tru said:

Julie Foudy was rather discussed by their act as well. Continuing to attack is one thing but celebrating goals 11, 12 and 13 like 1 and 2 is poor sportsmanship. Teams are going to come after them. There are going to be some cheap and marginal plays. They better be ready. They made the bed of the villain and now it's time to deal with the consequences. I would expect some very rough play the next time the USWNT faces off against another eastern Pacific opponent.

If they still had Wambach and Solo I'd definitely cheer for them to lose. Very hard to cheer for these ladies
DJDuck
Rapinoe is not somebody to cheer for either.
SonsofSteve
DJDuck said:

Rapinoe is not somebody to cheer for either.

Agreed, after watching her in this match and this match alone. She was the ringleader of all the celebrations and when it was her goal (the 9th) she made the biggest spectacle. I'm ok with running up the score, point differential matters sadly in soccer, but there's a point where you don't act like a clown, and Rapinoe was a total clown.
zwood57
These are all very **** takes. It's a WC, it is not their job to make nice, or 'take it easy.' They're there to win, win big, enjoy themselves doing so. It's much bigger than a simple match against a bad team. I'm sure them being women, or Rapinoe's sexual orientation have nothing to do with your old man yells at cloud takes...absolutely nothing. Ffs
Seeinggreen
zwood57 said:

These are all very **** takes. It's a WC, it is not their job to make nice, or 'take it easy.' They're there to win, win big, enjoy themselves doing so. It's much bigger than a simple match against a bad team. I'm sure them being women, or Rapinoe's sexual orientation have nothing to do with your old man yells at cloud takes...absolutely nothing. Ffs

I agree with the first part here, but maybe consider your bias as well. You really think they are going to see it differently if the football team celebrates a TD against Montana when up by 60? I don't.
Tru
zwood57 said:

If Julie Foudy's "take is ****" then I'm sticking with that one.

You raise some good points with which I agree; play hard and if you don't belong your team will get embarrassed. The US played hard and another team got embarrassed. However, I've never been a fan of "rubbing it in" especially when there is an extreme talent gap. Maybe you have a different take and that's fine.

You ruined a good take by taking shots at people.
SonsofSteve
zwood57 said:

I'm sure them being women, or Rapinoe's sexual orientation have nothing to do with your old man yells at cloud takes...absolutely nothing. Ffs
This is such a horse **** response. No, them being women does not make a difference. Rapinoe's sexual orientation has nothing to do with it. The concept of act like you've been there has been ingrained in any athletes mind since you start playing organized sports, it's not some old adage that just stopped being true as we moved into the 21st century. Sportsmanship is still a thing, and actually because this is the highest stage it should matter even more. Like I said, fine, run up the score (there's a real competitive need in the world cup system), but there's a point where you just hand the ball to the ref and trot back like you've ****ing been there before... Oh yeah, because you had been there before, and you scoring the 9th goal in a shut out is clearly a moment where you read the room and don't act like a clown.
SaudiDuck
If Thailand didn't want them to score, they should have stopped them. Goal differential is a deciding factor in advancing in the tourney so how are you going to blame them for increasing their odds of advancing? This is such a fake 'controversy'.
zwood57
Tru said:

zwood57 said:

You raise some good points with which I agree; play hard and if you don't belong your team will get embarrassed. The US played hard and another team got embarrassed. However, I've never been a fan of "rubbing it in" especially when there is an extreme talent gap. Maybe you have a different take and that's fine.

I'll take it. I am willing to admit I came in hot. I'm not going to retract the sentiment, but I'll apologize for the hotness to all. These are all much more complex than 'act like you've been there,' and that's without addressing DJDuck's flat refutation of Rapinoe, which I've seen enough of their posts to know why they posted that. The men's team (along with not being in this situation because of their lack of talent lol) do not have the pressures, expectations, and accepted norms in which they are expected to act and compete that the USWNT does.

The history of 'act like you've been there' and 'stick to sports' etc etc is fraught with deeper motivations as to why those comments are made in the first place, the fact that they are not applied evenly across gender and racial lines, and how we expect different segments of society to act. This is the lens in which I view these comments, and that is why I replied the way I did, although poorly.

If you, and the person below, genuinely and rigorously apply that same sentiment across racial and gender lines, across all sports, and generally just don't like people not 'acting like they've been there,' then that is a fine take to have, although I do not agree with it.

I hope this is a more acceptable response, but yes, largely, gender and orientation have much to do with the type of vitriol this story has attracted.
Seeinggreen
zwood57 said:

Tru said:

zwood57 said:

I'll take it. I am willing to admit I came in hot. I'm not going to retract the sentiment, but I'll apologize for the hotness to all. These are all much more complex than 'act like you've been there,' and that's without addressing DJDuck's flat refutation of Rapinoe, which I've seen enough of their posts to know why they posted that. The men's team (along with not being in this situation because of their lack of talent lol) do not have the pressures, expectations, and accepted norms in which they are expected to act and compete that the USWNT does.

The history of 'act like you've been there' and 'stick to sports' etc etc is fraught with deeper motivations as to why those comments are made in the first place, the fact that they are not applied evenly across gender and racial lines, and how we expect different segments of society to act. This is the lens in which I view these comments, and that is why I replied the way I did, although poorly.

If you, and the person below, genuinely and rigorously apply that same sentiment across racial and gender lines, across all sports, and generally just don't like people not 'acting like they've been there,' then that is a fine take to have, although I do not agree with it.

I hope this is a more acceptable response, but yes, largely, gender and orientation have much to do with the type of vitriol this story has attracted.

Thanks for coming back with this, I respect that!

I can only speak for myself, but my views on sportsmanship apply to all genders and races. I do recognize that the norms do change between sports and there are some cultural influences as well.

My take has always been about how you celebrate not if you do. Celebrating and taunting are different in my view. I get the sense we agree much more than we differ here!
Tru
zwood57 said:

Tru said:

zwood57 said:

Again, I like your take zwood and fully appreciate it. That's what I tried to communicate. Like I stated earlier, I think the "act like you've been there before" should have been applied to goals 11-13. The first 10 should be enjoyed to the fullest. If a team is scoring that much then the likelihood that goal differential will come into play is very slight - but again, that is a valid point at well (by another poster). I don't know if the race and gender issues need to be approached here but I think I see where you're going with those as well.
GoDucksScott
It's the freaking world cup. If Thailand didn't want them to score then they should have played better soccer. Hope the US wins the next game 20-0 and celebrates every goal. They aren't there to make friends - they are there to win the tournament.

And to anyone arguing this doesn't have anything to do with their gender is blind. No one was telling Germany to slow down when they were beating Brazil 7-0 in Brazil a few years back. Hope Morgan, Rapinoe and the rest of the team kick the crap out of every team and bring home another trophy.
Rhino59
zwood57 said:

Tru said:

zwood57 said:

I must be completely new to this story but what does race, gender or orientation have to do with running up the score in soccer? So far it seems like your the one bringing it up but at the same time upset about it. Idk I just don't get it.
👎🏻🐩
GoDucksScott
Haha Lloyd with the golf clap celebration to mock all the critics. Love it. Great win today and got to rest Morgan, Rapinoe and others.
hawaiiduck1
Rhino59 said:

zwood57 said:

Tru said:

zwood57 said:

I must be completely new to this story but what does race, gender or orientation have to do with running up the score in soccer? So far it seems like your the one bringing it up but at the same time upset about it. Idk I just don't get it.
I don't get it either. This is about lack of sportsmanship, and nothing else. You're overthinking things here, zwood.
GoDucksScott
hawaiiduck1 said:

Rhino59 said:

zwood57 said:

Tru said:

zwood57 said:

I don't get it either. This is about lack of sportsmanship, and nothing else. You're overthinking things here, zwood.

I disagree with you Hawaii. You don't hear calls like that in the men's game. Not only that but what happens if they did let up and didn't win their group because of goal differential. This is the World Cup not 8 year old rec soccer.
hawaiiduck1
GoDucksScott said:

hawaiiduck1 said:

Rhino59 said:

zwood57 said:

Tru said:

zwood57 said:

I disagree with you Hawaii. You don't hear calls like that in the men's game. Not only that but what happens if they did let up and didn't win their group because of goal differential. This is the World Cup not 8 year old rec soccer.
Of course you do. Sportsmanship is sportsmanship regardless of gender, age, country, etc. And it's not about the amount of goals they scored, it's how they acted while running up the score. It's perfectly fine to have the opinion that it's OK to do that, but most of the world, including a lot of Americans, will disagree with you.
SonsofSteve
hawaiiduck1 said:

GoDucksScott said:

hawaiiduck1 said:

Rhino59 said:

zwood57 said:

Tru said:

zwood57 said:

Of course you do. Sportsmanship is sportsmanship regardless of gender, age, country, etc. And it's not about the amount of goals they scored, it's how they acted while running up the score. It's perfectly fine to have the opinion that it's OK to do that, but most of the world, including a lot of Americans, will disagree with you.

Exactly! And why do people keep reading these responses and think people are upset about the number of goals?! That's not the issue, we get that (I honestly don't think people actually read anymore). But there comes a point when you cross over in to clown status with your celebrating. They crossed that point. This isnt pearl clutching, it's common sense that is brought up in every sport with every gender.
LikeLamike
GoDucksScott said:

It's the freaking world cup. If Thailand didn't want them to score then they should have played better soccer. Hope the US wins the next game 20-0 and celebrates every goal. They aren't there to make friends - they are there to win the tournament.

And to anyone arguing this doesn't have anything to do with their gender is blind. No one was telling Germany to slow down when they were beating Brazil 7-0 in Brazil a few years back. Hope Morgan, Rapinoe and the rest of the team kick the crap out of every team and bring home another trophy.
Exactly. More people are just outraged because its Rapinoe and they have a vendetta against her.
hawaiiduck1
LikeLamike said:

GoDucksScott said:

Exactly. More people are just outraged because its Rapinoe and they have a vendetta against her.
Well, we could always just ask him what he meant when he brought Rapinoe up.

DJ, did you bring up Rapinoe as someone not to root for, because of her sexual orientation? I just assumed it was because she doesn't sing the national anthem, which is her right, but I personally find pretty disrespectful.

Also Mike, again, it's not the running up the score that people are reacting to, it's the celebrations that continued to happen as the goal count got ridiculously higher. And it's not like it was just a few people that didn't like it, it was pretty much most of the world, including former U.S. soccer players.

I don't think this is a huge deal, I'm not highly offended by it or anything, but I did cringe watching it go down, and thought it wasn't a good look. Just tone it down as the score goes up, because whether they intended to or not, they really did appear to be rubbing in the Thai girls' faces. This U.S. women's team is fantastic, as usual, and are looked up to by girls everywhere, so they are role models whether they like it or not. And I think they do a great job of that (except maybe for Hope Solo, lol), but I thought they could have done a better job in this situation.

And I guess I will need to add, I think ALL professional athletes, regardless of race, color, and creed, are role models whether they like it or not, and I'm critical of any who I don't think live up to that, though in reality a lot never will. It would be great if we had more Mariota's out there, but they are in the vast minority.
OregonDonor
Didn't Thailand just beat Cambodia by 10?

The USA will always be the villain, in pretty much everything. We're the big Galioth and the rest of the world is David. We are the arrogant big dogs that everyone wants to take down. Might as well embrace it since that's what everyone thinks anyways.
SonsofSteve
OregonDonor said:

The USA will always be the villain, in pretty much everything. We're the big Galioth and the rest of the world is David. We are the arrogant big dogs that everyone wants to take down. Might as well embrace it since that's what everyone thinks anyways.

That's not really true anymore in women's soccer, other countries have caught up for sure. With that said, ad nauseum, is that no one cares that the US ran up the score; it's that they we were fairly classless as things got out of hand. AT THIS POINT everyone gets the point differential thing, but apparently it's sexist to think of "act like you've been there" or homophobic to think "act like you've been there." Or "old school" to think "act like you've been there." It's comical apparently on both sides, so I'm just wondering if I hear a counter argument that actually makes sense to me.
Tru
OregonDonor said:

There have been 7 Women's World Cups. The finals have only been represented by 7 teams (14 available slots). US has been there 4 times and won 3. Germany is next with 2 titles. There is a finite elite group and the US is at the top. They are now globally polarizing like the GS Warriors or Patriots. Love or hate with no in between.

Side note: does Rapinoe just not sing the anthem? Not everyone does. Kinda seems like a nonissue if that's the extent. I'd expect any athlete representing the US to positively represent our country or don't participate. I can only assume there might be an issue regarding the outcome of an election.
DJDuck
SonsofSteve said:

zwood57 said:

I'm sure them being women, or Rapinoe's sexual orientation have nothing to do with your old man yells at cloud takes...absolutely nothing. Ffs
This is such a horse **** response. No, them being women does not make a difference. Rapinoe's sexual orientation has nothing to do with it. The concept of act like you've been there has been ingrained in any athletes mind since you start playing organized sports, it's not some old adage that just stopped being true as we moved into the 21st century. Sportsmanship is still a thing, and actually because this is the highest stage it should matter even more. Like I said, fine, run up the score (there's a real competitive need in the world cup system), but there's a point where you just hand the ball to the ref and trot back like you've ****ing been there before... Oh yeah, because you had been there before, and you scoring the 9th goal in a shut out is clearly a moment where you read the room and don't act like a clown.
Rapinoe's actions are the point. Representing the USA and disrespecting the Flag and the National Anthem is the point. To just pull out the gay card is despicable. You are just inanely making a supposition about someone you don't know. You have absolutely no evidence to make this charge.

Furthermore you are engaging in a LOGICAL FALLACY merely to denigrate someone to make them and what they post biased thus less valid. This is juvenile behavior along with your absurd VIRTUE SIGNALING.

So I guess what you are positing, if we take this to it's logical conclusion, everyone that opposes Rapinoe's kneeling and silence during the National Anthem is a homophobe. That is a ludicrous and childish point of view.

DJDuck
JFurthermore moron I have supported women' sports for a long long time. Pulling out the sexist card without any knowledge is further proof of your childishness.

I supported the Pilot women AND Rapinoe when Clive Charles was there. I have been to Pilot and Duck women basketball games. I was at Mac Court when the Duck women won the women's NIT.

I also follow the Duck women Track, Softball and Basketball teams. Do you know the only Scholarship pitcher on the Ducks softball roster, where she transferred from and whether she is a RHP or LHP. Well I do, you know the guy that doesn't care about women's sports. Jordan Dail transfer from VaTech is currently our only scholarship pitcher. Jordan is a LHP and beat UCLA the eventual WOMEN'S National Champions. Carrie Eberle her teammate at VaTech is the best pitcher (25-8) in the Softball transfer portal. We are trying to get her to Oregon.
DJDuck
Here are my posts from our little woodshed site:

NCAA Softball Division I Transfer Tracker

www.softballamerica.com/stories/ncaa-softball-division-i-transfer-tracker/

Last Edit: Jun 14, 2019 at 7:59pm by djduck
djduck
Administrator

Member is Online

Softball America Transfer Portal Jun 15, 2019 at 3:24pm
Quote Edit [url=http://woodshed.boards.net/thread/4131/softball-america-transfer-portal#][/url]

Post by djduck on Jun 15, 2019 at 3:24pm
I kind of scanned the list for just pitchers. I didn't look at all teams by any means.

IMO the best prospect is Jordan Dail's Teammate from Va Tech Carrie Eberle. 25-8. 1.84 ERA

Payton Bruesch from JMU had a 1.64 ERA & seems like a reliever

Mac Schulz a Freshman from Washington might be a possibility. She didn't play, but with Plain and Avelo pitching who else would be on the mound.

McKenzie Schulz
Monroe, Wash.
Pitcher
Northwest Bullets Campos

Schulz helped Monroe High School to a third place finish in the state in 2017. She was named one of the Seattle Times' Players to Watch before that season and shone at the PGF Surf City Camp over the winter. Schulz was also recognized as one of USA Today's Performers of the Week after striking out 29 over two games in March of 2015.

Tarr was excited by Schulz's potential, saying that the "power pitcher will add depth to our staff. She will have an opportunity to compete for pitching time with a veteran staff next year."

Read more: http://woodshed.boards.net/thread/4131/softball-america-transfer-portal#ixzz5rAp4zosu
Ed O
zwood57 said:

It's their jobs to enjoy what they do? That's an awesome justification for anyone doing anything. Is their job different from, say, a police officer or a McDonald's employee?

The "it's their job to have fun" could apply to all sorts of situations!
DJDuck
hawaiiduck1 said:

LikeLamike said:

GoDucksScott said:

Well, we could always just ask him what he meant when he brought Rapinoe up.

DJ, did you bring up Rapinoe as someone not to root for, because of her sexual orientation? I just assumed it was because she doesn't sing the national anthem, which is her right, but I personally find pretty disrespectful.

Also Mike, again, it's not the running up the score that people are reacting to, it's the celebrations that continued to happen as the goal count got ridiculously higher. And it's not like it was just a few people that didn't like it, it was pretty much most of the world, including former U.S. soccer players.

I don't think this is a huge deal, I'm not highly offended by it or anything, but I did cringe watching it go down, and thought it wasn't a good look. Just tone it down as the score goes up, because whether they intended to or not, they really did appear to be rubbing in the Thai girls' faces. This U.S. women's team is fantastic, as usual, and are looked up to by girls everywhere, so they are role models whether they like it or not. And I think they do a great job of that (except maybe for Hope Solo, lol), but I thought they could have done a better job in this situation.

And I guess I will need to add, I think ALL professional athletes, regardless of race, color, and creed, are role models whether they like it or not, and I'm critical of any who I don't think live up to that, though in reality a lot never will. It would be great if we had more Mariota's out there, but they are in the vast minority.
It had nothing to do with anything but her kneeling. Then she brought attention to herself when fans noticed her not singing the National Anthem. I appreciate the courtesy Hawaii. Imagine that asking a person why they said
something rather than putting words in other people's mouths.

It's funny how I used to root for the Pilots and Rapinoe and now disapprove of her behavior.
OregonDonor
DJDuck said:

JFurthermore moron I have supported women' sports for a long long time. Pulling out the sexist card without any knowledge is further proof of your childishness.

I supported the Pilot women AND Rapinoe when Clive Charles was there. I have been to Pilot and Duck women basketball games. I was at Mac Court when the Duck women won the women's NIT.

I also follow the Duck women Track, Softball and Basketball teams. Do you know the only Scholarship pitcher on the Ducks softball roster, where she transferred from and whether she is a RHP or LHP. Well I do, you know the guy that doesn't care about women's sports. Jordan Dail transfer from VaTech is currently our only scholarship pitcher. Jordan is a LHP and beat UCLA the eventual WOMEN'S National Champions. Carrie Eberle her teammate at VaTech is the best pitcher (25-8) in the Softball transfer portal. We are trying to get her to Oregon.

DJDuck
SonsofSteve
Proper conclusion to a thread that needed to die.
GoDucksScott
DJDuck said:

hawaiiduck1 said:

GoDucksScott said:

hawaiiduck1 said:

Rhino59 said:

zwood57 said:

Tru said:

zwood57 said:

Good post Hawaii. But of course you are just a sexist homophobe. "YOU WILL BE MADE TO CARE".

Goal differential is such a red herring. Just look at the goal differential in the group. It's just an excuse. Team USA was never going to have to rely on goal differential in their group.

It very well might. A tie with Sweden is very much a possibility. Thanks to that opening win they will win the group with a tie (although winning the group means meeting up with France sooner which may not be a good thing...). Well done ladies for ensuring your team is in the right position! Pulling for Rapinoe and all of team USA on Thursday.
DJDuck
OregonDonor said:

DJDuck said:

hbic id childish and meant to be hurtful.JFurthermore moron I have supported women' sports for a long long time. Pulling out the sexist card without any knowledge is further proof of your childishness.

I don't take kindly to people making wild charges to put down other people. None of us should. These MF's should grow up and learn to refrain from their mouths writing checks their asses can't cash.
Page 1 of 3

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.