Team USA. became "The Ugly Americans" to many soccer fans

3,597 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by PeninsulaDuck
Tru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
US needed two PK's to beat Spain 2-1 yesterday. Both were close calls. I'm surprised they awarded the second.

Next up if France on Friday who beat Brazil 2-1 in the quarters
hawaiiduck1
I didn't get to see the Spain game, but I've heard it was tough. The comments section in that video is pretty fired up.

Championship teams often need a game with luck, or favorable calls, I guess that's ours. Hopefully we put France to bed early.
Seeinggreen
hawaiiduck1 said:

I didn't get to see the Spain game, but I've heard it was tough. The comments section in that video is pretty fired up.

Championship teams often need a game with luck, or favorable calls, I guess that's ours. Hopefully we put France to bed early.

The video of the second call was pretty suspect IMO.
Tru
Seeinggreen said:

hawaiiduck1 said:

It seems like every time I try and circle back to soccer I'm turned away by the diving every single time. Sure, acting plays a part in all sports but some of the **** I see in soccer is Oscar worthy. Some people don't mind it and say its part of the game. I'd like to wee the WC's and Premier Division leagues institute halftime replay where the refs review possible dives. They would need to limit them due to time. When the teams return, the refs can issue yellow cards and red cards as needed. There are some holes in this thought process but the idea is to make the sport competitive, allow for physicality and not reward the actors that are clearly taking advantage of the size of the pitch and the distance at which some calls are made. Like I said, plenty of holes but the idea that refs can give cards at halftime - and possibly after matches - would help IMO. This idea isn't meant to remove all the finesse and gamesmanship from soccer and certainly won't turn it into a gladiator sport either.
Seeinggreen
Tru said:

Seeinggreen said:

hawaiiduck1 said:

It seems like every time I try and circle back to soccer I'm turned away by the diving every single time. Sure, acting plays a part in all sports but some of the **** I see in soccer is Oscar worthy. Some people don't mind it and say its part of the game. I'd like to wee the WC's and Premier Division leagues institute halftime replay where the refs review possible dives. They would need to limit them due to time. When the teams return, the refs can issue yellow cards and red cards as needed. There are some holes in this thought process but the idea is to make the sport competitive, allow for physicality and not reward the actors that are clearly taking advantage of the size of the pitch and the distance at which some calls are made. Like I said, plenty of holes but the idea that refs can give cards at halftime - and possibly after matches - would help IMO. This idea isn't meant to remove all the finesse and gamesmanship from soccer and certainly won't turn it into a gladiator sport either.

I agree with your general and think your idea has a lot of Merritt. The thing I don't know from a highlight clip is what the overall flow of the game was. If that player had been physical all game long and was pushing the issue then I could see it. I don't know about soccer, but many other sports use an unofficial system where players get warned prior to nailed with penalties. If soccer does something similar it could be a factor in that call.
PeninsulaDuck
Hawaiiduck1 wins this debate btw, by being civil AND correct.
It's NOT about the sexual orientation that you guys keeps swinging around to, it is love or lack there of ,of country. I work with a lesbian apprentice from Alaska and y'all could learn a whole bunch of life from her, but go ahead and stay in your little preconceived lanes, who gives a **** right? SMH.
Tru
Did you re-read this whole thread Pen?

There was some good stuff and some junk. Some of us stayed out of the junk and just talked about the sport
PeninsulaDuck
Tru said:

Did you re-read this whole thread Pen?

There was some good stuff and some junk. Some of us stayed out of the junk and just talked about the sport

I will admit I got roughly 60% through it.
Page 3 of 3

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.