Recent movies

912 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by hawaiiduck1
hawaiiduck1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ever since my kids got out of school, we've spent a couple weekends catching up on recent flicks.

Bohemian Rhapsody - We all love Queen's music in our house, so we were looking forward to this. We really enjoyed it, thought Remy Malik did a great job, though I'm always left wondering what the percentage of truth to Hollywood dramatization is.

The Upside - Brian Cranston and Kevin Hart are two of my favorites to watch onscreen, and they didn't disappoint. The story itself is good, nothing amazing, but those two make it a must watch IMO.

Cold Pursuit - Wife and I watched this (not for kids) and I was very pleasantly surprised! I wasn't really expecting much, but really enjoyed it. It's a dark, violent comedy, and I loved the way it was made. The music, the way it was filmed, the acting, are all a little quirky but in a good way. If you're a Neeson fan you have to check this one out.

Aladdin - The Disney live action remake movies have been a mixed bag so far for me. I liked Cinderella a lot, but the rest have just been OK. This one is now my favorite. It's colorful, fun, and Will Smith is actually pretty good as the genie. I think it's best when they don't stray too much from the original stories, but add their own style to it. Guy Ritchie directed this, and I like most of what he does, and you can see some of his film-making quirks, but just a little bit, enough to make it fun and give it a little different style. My girls all have "favorite princesses", and Jasmine is one of them, so that particular daughter was a little apprehensive about being disappointing like some of the previous live actions, but we were all very happy with it. Definitely a recommend!

Pokemon Detective Pikachu - My 9-year old son is obsessed with this stuff, and he got straight A's, so dad took him out to the movies! And I didn't hate it! It was actually pretty entertaining, pretty good CGI, and Ryan Reynolds was funny as the voice of Pikachu. You probably don't need to bother unless you like it, or have a child that does, but if it's streaming there are definitely worse things you can do with your time.

What have ya'll seen recently?
Duckjones
Bohemian rhapsody and loved it. Good watch!

The Upside and it was very good as well! Loved it!!

Green Book was very well done. Would have liked to have been told the story by an African American for point of view.

Cold pursuit was a fun ride. Agree with the above take 100%!

The Mule was my favorite movie last year. No spoiler, but great story and ending was perfect!

On the basis of sex was a great story of a remarkable women. Movie was solid.

Glass is what it is. Fun watch if your in that mood, but not gonna win any academy awards.
DuckedOut84
Endgame is better than all those don't @ me
hawaiiduck1
Just saw Men In Black today with my wife and kids. It was a lot of fun, and actually may be the best of the MiB movies IMO. I really wasn't expecting much, but the humor was great, and the two leads have great chemistry (they did in Thor also). Nothing life-changing but a great popcorn flick.
Tru
Saw Aladdin with the fam yesterday. Great movie. I was a huge skeptic because what Robin Williams did in the original was remarkable. W Smith did well. The casting was excellent. They tied the beginning of the movie to the end very well
Tru
DuckedOut84 said:

Endgame is better than all those don't @ me

I still need to see Endgame and want to see Dark Phoenix.
Rebecca Romijn is the best Mystique. Don't @me
hawaiiduck1
I keep hearing Dark Phoenix isn't very good, I might wait for blu-ray. 100% agree about Romijn!
BoiseDuck
hawaiiduck1 said:

I keep hearing Dark Phoenix isn't very good, I might wait for blu-ray. 100% agree about Romijn!
That's a wise decision to wait IMHO and I'm a huge Xmen "First Class" series fan
MarinerDNA
Deadwood the movie: anyone whose a fan of the TV series should check it out. This effectively wrapped everything up...
SonsofSteve
MarinerDNA said:

Deadwood the movie: anyone whose a fan of the TV series should check it out. This effectively wrapped everything up...

Yeah, but I still think one more full season was needed. Enjoyed the movie, but still feel a little empty about the whole thing.
BoiseDuck
SonsofSteve said:

MarinerDNA said:

Yeah, but I still think one more full season was needed. Enjoyed the movie, but still feel a little empty about the whole thing.
Seemed very, very rushed. Should have at least been a 3-4 episode mini-series
hawaiiduck1
BoiseDuck said:

SonsofSteve said:

MarinerDNA said:

Agree. Enjoyed the movie, but was surprised when I realized it was over, felt like they compacted a few episodes into one movie, like you suggest. I won't complain too much, as I was just happy they managed to get everyone back together after so long, that nearly undoable these days in Hollywood. But yeah, I would have loved to see more.
texasduck707
The new X-Man was putrid.
MarinerDNA
That show could have gone on for years. In the movie none of the actors looked like they missed a beat. Calamity Jane was EXACTLY the same 10 years later it was amazing to see. Deadwood is my favorite show of all time.
hawaiiduck1
MarinerDNA said:

That show could have gone on for years. In the movie none of the actors looked like they missed a beat. Calamity Jane was EXACTLY the same 10 years later it was amazing to see. Deadwood is my favorite show of all time.

My wife and said the exact same thing about Jane! She looked exactly the same... I wanted to see more Wu and "Swedgin", Bullock and Swedgin, Dan and Swedgin, heck just more Swedgin period. Loved every second of the movie, but it just made me want more.

I think it's #2 for us, close behind The Wire, NTE, if you like Bullock, you should check out Justified.
GoDucksScott
Thanks for the movie reviews! I love these threads as the missus and I rarely get a chance to see adult movies anymore but on the rare occasions when we do I like hearing these reviews ahead of time. About the only time I get to see these movies are on a plane when travelling. I recently watched Bohemian Rapsody on a plane and thought it was fantastic. Ramy as Freddy Mercury did an amazing job.

I actually didn't hate Detective Pikachu either although didn't enjoy it nearly as much as my 6 year old did ( he whispered the name of every single Pokemon he saw when they came on the screen...lol).

Never saw Deadwood but knowing you rank it so highly maybe will have to check it out.

Keep the reviews coming!
onaduck
hawaiiduck1 said:

BoiseDuck said:

SonsofSteve said:

MarinerDNA said:

Agree. Enjoyed the movie, but was surprised when I realized it was over, felt like they compacted a few episodes into one movie, like you suggest. I won't complain too much, as I was just happy they managed to get everyone back together after so long, that nearly undoable these days in Hollywood. But yeah, I would have loved to see more.
I've just gone back and re-watched every episode of Deadwood. Man, it's as good or better than I remembered. The final movie might not have ever gotten made were it not for the writer, Milch, getting diagnosed with early Alzheimer's. I think that helped push HBO to give him one 2 hour movie. All the stars needed, and were willing to clear their schedule. It's a miracle that the movie even got made at all. And that's all HBO, or the writer, was willing to give to the project at this point. Just have to be thankful for what we got.
hawaiiduck1
onaduck said:

hawaiiduck1 said:

BoiseDuck said:

SonsofSteve said:

MarinerDNA said:

I've just gone back and re-watched every episode of Deadwood. Man, it's as good or better than I remembered. The final movie might not have ever gotten made were it not for the writer, Milch, getting diagnosed with early Alzheimer's. I think that helped push HBO to give him one 2 hour movie. All the stars needed, and were willing to clear their schedule. It's a miracle that the movie even got made at all. And that's all HBO, or the writer, was willing to give to the project at this point. Just have to be thankful for what we got.
I hadn't heard that about the writer! It shows how much everyone involved loved the show, and I'm definitely grateful it got made. I'm still sad it's over again though, lol.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.