Fishing Thread

1,399 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by onaduck
BrokerDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Checking to see if we have any fishing fanatics out there. I just started getting into fly fishing more this year, and been loving the difference from spin fishing.
Tru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love to fish - just don't have time to do enough of it. Almost everything in Oregon; salmon @ buoy 10, steelhead on the rogue and trout in central OR. I really want to plan a Mackinaw trip to Odell, Crescent and Cultus lakes at some point. All spinning or trolling so far and some salmon trips out of Newport. I've tried fly fishing but haven't spent enough time with it yet. I have a couple rookie anglers that I'm working with so they occupy by time

Some good news that I found out recently is that OR fish and game is switching to an app next year so you won't have to carry licenses or tags - it'll all be digital.
MarinerDNA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I used to be really into it. But my schedule won't allow any fanatasicm for fishing. Still have all my Lamiglass rods and reels and all the equipment. My favorite thing was using my floating rod off the bank for steelhead and salmon.
Seeinggreen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tru said:

I love to fish - just don't have time to do enough of it. Almost everything in Oregon; salmon @ buoy 10, steelhead on the rogue and trout in central OR. I really want to plan a Mackinaw trip to Odell, Crescent and Cultus lakes at some point. All spinning or trolling so far and some salmon trips out of Newport. I've tried fly fishing but haven't spent enough time with it yet. I have a couple rookie anglers that I'm working with so they occupy by time

Some good news that I found out recently is that OR fish and game is switching to an app next year so you won't have to carry licenses or tags - it'll all be digital.


So, the ODF app is live now. You can purchase and keep your license and tags there. However, if you already have the paper version you are stuck until next year.
Seeinggreen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love to fish but the last few years I have not been able to get to it. This year my daughter is into it and so we are working on landing her first fish. I live about 20min maybe from Leaburg so she and I are above the dam after trout.

I am looking forward to getting back into salmon and trying steelhead in the next few years. I am also hoping to get back into spear fishing at some point.
Tru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Spear fishing... in OR? Where and for what?
Seeinggreen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tru said:

Spear fishing... in OR? Where and for what?


Well, it can be done in Oregon but it's mostly ling and Halibut. There are several rocks not too far out that are divable but the best in Oregon is Port Orford. It's definitely a scuba sport in the PNW if you can get enough viz.

Every fall there is a scuba trip out of Eugene that heads to the Channel Islands and it's 3-4 days of speargun fishing and lobster snagging!
BrokerDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fly Fished the Deschutes by Warm Springs. Nothing quite like hooking 15 - 20" Redsides. Looking forward to fish the higher lakes when the snow melts.
Packin Ducks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrokerDuck said:

Fly Fished the Deschutes by Warm Springs. Nothing quite like hooking 15 - 20" Redsides. Looking forward to fish the higher lakes when the snow melts.

I love the Deschutes. Summer Steelhead on the lower Deschutes is my personal fav.
PeninsulaDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packin Ducks said:

BrokerDuck said:

Fly Fished the Deschutes by Warm Springs. Nothing quite like hooking 15 - 20" Redsides. Looking forward to fish the higher lakes when the snow melts.

I love the Deschutes. Summer Steelhead on the lower Deschutes is my personal fav.
I learned to fly fish on the that river. One of my favs!!
DJDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How about fishing in Lake Roosevelt for Northern Pike. You could have fun and make money at the same time all the while protecting other fish and salmon habitat.

It's 'All Hands On Deck' To Protect Columbia River Salmon From Invasive Northern Pike

https://www.opb.org/news/article/columbia-river-salmon-protection-invasive-northern-pike-washington-fish/
onaduck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrokerDuck said:

Checking to see if we have any fishing fanatics out there. I just started getting into fly fishing more this year, and been loving the difference from spin fishing.
I started fly fishing when I was a kid back before A River Runs Through It and the sport got crazy popular. As a teen, I used to go out fishing with my buds, 5-6 of us, and I was the only one with a fly rod. They all teased me mercilessly. That went on for a couple of fishing seasons. Then I slowly got through to them. Within a couple of years, none of them ever picked up a spinning rod again. On the odd occasion when fate conspires to bring us all back together for a fishing trip, I always get to remind them about how they busted my chops, and it's fun to watch them get all embarrassed and thank me.
Mosster47
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I used to be insanely into bass fishing. I was a member of two different clubs in southern Oregon, fished the ABT, FLW, WWBT, etc.

I moved down here and it's not nearly as fun. EVERYONE is bass fishing. So much pressure, it's lame. I fish to get away from people for the most part. I sold my Triton and got a totally decked out kayak with everything you could imagine and that has been fun.

If any of you guys want some tips on Oregon and NorCal PM me. I have all the secrets. Most people don't think there are good bass in Oregon, but once they are over 2lbs they become completely different fish.
Mosster47
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tru said:

I love to fish - just don't have time to do enough of it. Almost everything in Oregon; salmon @ buoy 10, steelhead on the rogue and trout in central OR. I really want to plan a Mackinaw trip to Odell, Crescent and Cultus lakes at some point. All spinning or trolling so far and some salmon trips out of Newport. I've tried fly fishing but haven't spent enough time with it yet. I have a couple rookie anglers that I'm working with so they occupy by time

Some good news that I found out recently is that OR fish and game is switching to an app next year so you won't have to carry licenses or tags - it'll all be digital.
Not sure how much you know about laker fishing but if you want the best way to do it let me know.

Just be really careful with those fish. They are only in three lakes and one of the three lakes they are only about 18" long. They take about 30 years to get to a good size so they aren't a renewable resource.
Tru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did you mean lake fishing? I'm all ears.
Mosster47
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tru said:

Did you mean lake fishing? I'm all ears.
Lake Trout fishing. Only people in Oregon call them Mackinaw.
Tru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mosster47 said:

Tru said:

Did you mean lake fishing? I'm all ears.
Lake Trout fishing. Only people in Oregon call them Mackinaw.

I'm talking about the big SOB's that are 100+ ft down in Odell and Cultus. They're call Big Macs for a reason. You need a 8lb ball on your down rigger. When I hear the term "lake trout fishing" my first response is, "There are several types of lake trout in OR; brown, brook, bull, rainbow and cutthroat." But it looks like some people refer to them as Lake Trout as you stated.



What are your secrets? Dredge the bottom with an anchor? Burlap bags of filled with cat food? Watching the depth finder and fishing below the Kokanee? I you got a secret bait, sauce or rigging that'll be interesting.
StzDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fishing is my number one past time. Now that I am retired I have been fishing at least 3 times a week. Normally I start getting real excited for Buoy 10 this time of the year. However there are not very many Chinook around this year. However the Coho fishing should be outstanding this year, but not until later in September. The Ocean has been hot recently.
OregonDonor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DJDuck said:

How about fishing in Lake Roosevelt for Northern Pike. You could have fun and make money at the same time all the while protecting other fish and salmon habitat.

It's 'All Hands On Deck' To Protect Columbia River Salmon From Invasive Northern Pike

https://www.opb.org/news/article/columbia-river-salmon-protection-invasive-northern-pike-washington-fish/
I got a buddy that does that. Says they're a lot of fun to catch.

I mainly fish in the ocean out of Newport and Depot Bay for salmon, halibut, rock fish and crab with my family. Wish we could go more often, but we usually go a handful of times a year. I used to love river and lake fishing for trout, bass and catfish but I'm a little wary of eating anything out of the Willamette, which is the closest body of water near me.
NachoCheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tru said:

Mosster47 said:

Tru said:

Did you mean lake fishing? I'm all ears.
Lake Trout fishing. Only people in Oregon call them Mackinaw.

I'm talking about the big SOB's that are 100+ ft down in Odell and Cultus. They're call Big Macs for a reason. You need a 8lb ball on your down rigger. When I hear the term "lake trout fishing" my first response is, "There are several types of lake trout in OR; brown, brook, bull, rainbow and cutthroat." But it looks like some people refer to them as Lake Trout as you stated.



What are your secrets? Dredge the bottom with an anchor? Burlap bags of filled with cat food? Watching the depth finder and fishing below the Kokanee? I you got a secret bait, sauce or rigging that'll be interesting.



Dang what a fish
BrokerDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just moved to ID, property is on the Potlatch River, and about 15 minutes from the Clearwater River. Excited to Flyfish both rivers. Youtube - Steelhead fishing on the Clearwater, its amazing.
Tru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrokerDuck said:

Just moved to ID, property is on the Potlatch River, and about 15 minutes from the Clearwater River. Excited to Flyfish both rivers. Youtube - Steelhead fishing on the Clearwater, its amazing.


You should get a GoPro (camera) and post a video battling some hogs! That sounds like a blast. Is it all bank and waders?
FlockingAwesome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlockingAwesome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
onaduck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrokerDuck said:

Just moved to ID, property is on the Potlatch River, and about 15 minutes from the Clearwater River. Excited to Flyfish both rivers. Youtube - Steelhead fishing on the Clearwater, its amazing.

Make sure you get over to Kelly Creek and the North Fork of the Clearwater for some cutthroat fishing.
BrokerDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tru said:

BrokerDuck said:

Just moved to ID, property is on the Potlatch River, and about 15 minutes from the Clearwater River. Excited to Flyfish both rivers. Youtube - Steelhead fishing on the Clearwater, its amazing.


You should get a GoPro (camera) and post a video battling some hogs! That sounds like a blast. Is it all bank and waders?
Yeah that sounds like fun. It will be waders for me.
BrokerDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
onaduck said:

BrokerDuck said:

Just moved to ID, property is on the Potlatch River, and about 15 minutes from the Clearwater River. Excited to Flyfish both rivers. Youtube - Steelhead fishing on the Clearwater, its amazing.

Make sure you get over to Kelly Creek and the North Fork of the Clearwater for some cutthroat fishing.
I will look it up. Thanks for the advice!
onaduck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrokerDuck said:

onaduck said:

BrokerDuck said:

Just moved to ID, property is on the Potlatch River, and about 15 minutes from the Clearwater River. Excited to Flyfish both rivers. Youtube - Steelhead fishing on the Clearwater, its amazing.

Make sure you get over to Kelly Creek and the North Fork of the Clearwater for some cutthroat fishing.
I will look it up. Thanks for the advice!
Both in the same drainage. You can camp along either and hit both. I've fished one for half the day. The other for half the day. Or go for a weekend and hit one day 1, the other day 2.

Oh, there's also the St. Joe river. Different drainage, but probably not far from you either.
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.