Camping / Hiking

Tru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Location, location, location

Where are the best spots and trails in Oregon and abroad. Where have you been and what makes them great? Share you stories and ask Q's along the way. I'm sure there are plenty of outdoor people on SD.
Tru
Benham Falls outside Sunriver and south of Bend is a great area. Family friendly and more challenging hiking routes are available. And there are some spots to get your feet wet with the rapids just feet away!
Tru
Anyone know anything about the campgrounds near and around Crater Lake? Are there any family friendly spots that would accommodate a trailer or RV? Thanks in advance
Seeinggreen
Tru said:

Anyone know anything about the campgrounds near and around Crater Lake? Are there any family friendly spots that would accommodate a trailer or RV? Thanks in advance

I've camped at diamond lake, I know they have some RV spots and that's a great family campground that isn't that far from Crater lake!
OregonDonor
Every summer I hike a section of the Pacific Crest Trail in Oregon. For those not familiar, the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) is a continuous trail from the Mexican border in California to the Canadian border in Washington.

So far I've hiked over 200 miles of the Oregon sections from the Columbia river to Crater Lake, many areas multiple times.

My favorite section is in the Sisters Wilderness Area. You can split off from the PCT and climb the South Sister, Oregon's third highest peak. The views are amazing.

http://instagr.am/p/BfKd8S9HXKx
Packin Ducks
Tru said:

Benham Falls outside Sunriver and south of Bend is a great area. Family friendly and more challenging hiking routes are available. And there are some spots to get your feet wet with the rapids just feet away!

Benham Falls is fantastic just don't forget the mosquito repellent.
onaduck
For a kind of under the radar spot, I've always enjoyed the trails in and around Oakridge. Quick trip from Eugene as well.
OregonDonor
Packin Ducks said:

Tru said:

Benham Falls is fantastic just don't forget the mosquito repellent.

That's for sure. Last time I was there, I was going to take my kids fishing nearby. By the time we walked to the river, we were running back to the car to get away from the mosquitos. Never got a line in the water.
Duckman2
Tru said:

Union Creek my man. Union Creek. Amazing area, lots to do (nature wise), close to Crater Lake. One of my favorite spots in the whole wide world
Tru
Much appreciated. I'll look into that one
Tru
Multnomah Falls

I was there yesterday with my family. It was a perfect day. Warm and slightly overcast. The only issue what that there wasn't enough parking for everyone that had the same idea LOL.
Hiked from the cabin, up to the bridge and took some photos. The small fall is about 70 feet and the large one (in all the photos you'll find) is 570! Truly breathtaking. Absolutely gorgeous. Took the 11 switchbacks all the way to the top. Make sure you have running or trail shoes. We saw some people in flip flops and sandals... might be some blisters today (ouch!). From the top there were more photos and then we hiked back to another couple falls (Weisendanger and Ecola) and there were far fewer people on the trails. Much more natural and this was our favorite part of the whole day. Just beautiful nature with a flowing river above the main fall.
One thing that stuck out was how much fire damage there was and how much nature has already reacted. Seeing the burnt trees, honestly, is a little heartbreaking. However life is springing forth from the destruction and is just proof of the resourcefulness of mother nature. We also saw plenty of Ducks in attendance
KeepOnDucking
onaduck said:

For a kind of under the radar spot, I've always enjoyed the trails in and around Oakridge. Quick trip from Eugene as well.

There's some really nice hot springs near Oakridge that I frequent quite often. Very private and secluded. Definitely not like Cougar or Belknap. In fact, I have been to the Springs near Oakridge around 30 times and I've never once seen anyone else there.
Ok. Cool story and all, but still not one commit after spring game.
PeninsulaDuck
I miss our old spot up at the top of the Wilson river in the Weyerhaeuser lands in the coast range. They shut it back off before we left Oregon.

Those were historic camping trips!!!

R.I.P. muff mountain.
SODucks
So many amazing places. If your ever in southern Oregon in want to do a short backpacking trip, I cannot recommend the kalmiopsis Wilderness enough! Hiking along the Clear Blue Waters of the Illinois River is amazing. Swimming in it, is heaven
Seeinggreen
Has anyone done any camping in the Mt. Rainer area? I'm planning a trip next summer and would love some advice if anyone has any?
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.