Weightlifting/ workout/ gains/ nutrition/ supplements/ general exercise and health

2,227 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tru
DucksDeLucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone else is interested in a thread to discuss workout routines and anything else health and exercise related and share information about what works/ doesn't work and support eachother. I got back in the gym about 6 months ago after Being lazy for a couple years and it's honestly made such a big difference already in how I feel physically and mentally. The hardest part for me was just getting started and sticking with it long enough for it to start to feel good again but I can't recommend it enough to anyone who's been thinking about starting up again to push through and force yourself to start even if it's just doing a few push ups and sit ups every day in the beginning. Iv been taking collagen which Iv noticed has helped my joints feel a LOT better in the last few months( am in my late 20s and was already experiencing back and joint pain from different sports injuries I had growing up.) Anyways what are your fitness goals and what have you been doing or thinking of doing to help achieve it?

If nobody else is interested in this no worries but figured I would post it and see what happens. Fill the sleeves!
onaduck
I've hit the part of middle age where my knees really start creaking and aching. I don't take any supplements or anything for it. If somebody has any remedies for middle aged knees, I'd like to hear about them.
Tru
I'm definitely interested. Had some health issues earlier this year that made me change things up.

Nutrition: dropped OJ & coffee because they're acidic. I drink ON amino powder drinks in the morning to get goin. Works like caffeine without the crash. Then an ice tea, if needed, with lunch.
Workout: plyos mostly with some weights. Squat and lunges for the legs with 35lb bars in each hand. I also use those for curls and presses. Just bought those circular push up handles that spin. They seem to do the trick. Also got a pull up bar. The abs need some help so I'm open to suggestions. Crunches hurt my neck (previous injury that won't go away)
DucksDeLucks
onaduck said:

I've hit the part of middle age where my knees really start creaking and aching. I don't take any supplements or anything for it. If somebody has any remedies for middle aged knees, I'd like to hear about them.
I Feel you man. I don't know much about the science behind it but I started by taking vital proteins collagen peptides a few months ago and I am amazed with how much better my joints feel. My knees and hands haven't felt this good since high school. I got my dad and friend to try it and they are both loving it and reporting great results too so maybe start out trying some of that? It comes in a blue container and is like a protein powder but is tasteless and can be mixed in with any beverage. My dad takes it in his yogurt in the morning so I guess it doesn't really early matter and just depends on what you prefer. I just take 1 scoop in the morning and at night and it took about 2-4 weeks before i really started noticing a difference...highly recommend trying it because I'm honestly very impressed with how much better Iv felt since taking it ( recently got 2 more containers so I never run out haha)
DucksDeLucks
Tru said:

I'm definitely interested. Had some health issues earlier this year that made me change things up.

Nutrition: dropped OJ & coffee because they're acidic. I drink ON amino powder drinks in the morning to get goin. Works like caffeine without the crash. Then an ice tea, if needed, with lunch.
Workout: plyos mostly with some weights. Squat and lunges for the legs with 35lb bars in each hand. I also use those for curls and presses. Just bought those circular push up handles that spin. They seem to do the trick. Also got a pull up bar. The abs need some help so I'm open to suggestions. Crunches hurt my neck (previous injury that won't go away)
Good call. I'm in the same boat and gave up coffee last year and have noticed my sleep schedule really improved once I did, can sleep through the night again which had been a struggle for years. I also started eating healthy again ( was never super unhealthy or anything but Iv had stomach problems my whole adult life and have cut out a lot Of processed foods and started including more fruits vegetables and lean meat like chicken and that has helped a lot too)

Have you tried using a yoga ball for sit ups? I was in a car accident and my physical therapist had me using one of those for gaining core strength... also throwing it or a medicine ball against the wall in a twisting of the hips motion is one I like and doesn't put any stress on my neck. Check out the YouTube channel ATHLEAN-X...the guy is very knowledgeable about the science behind the body and certain workouts and has tons of info and teaches different work outs and explains why they are effective...Iv pulled a lot of my workout routine from watching him and am sure he's got some good core exercises that you can do that will keep your neck out of it.

My routine is pretty similar to yours. I had invested in weights in my early 20s and had them laying around my garage all these years and finially set up a little workout station in my garage again with a squat rack/ bench press and then dumbbells ranging it weight from 10- 45 lbs so now I can't use the excuse that I don't feel like going to the gym. For lower legs Iv been doing squats and box jumps but need to start doing lunges again too but I cramp pretty bad for some reason when I first start doing those ( but they go away after I get some strength back for the most part, just the first few weeks are a bummer) and then for upper body I just alternate different workouts depending on what muscle group I am trying to hit. I recently got a sandbag and have really been liking it....it's differnt from free weights and I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I can do with it but it feels like I hit different random muscle groups that I miss when I'm just using dumbbells but that could also just all be in my head. Either way it's fun to mix it up and the physical gains are great but Iv noticed my mood is also a lot better since I started excercising and eating healthy again.
Mosster47
onaduck said:

I was having a hell of a time too, but I've got a good routine now.

I foam roll my back everyday. Once a week I wrap an electric heating pad around my ankles for 20 minutes each. Ice bath twice a month. Cryo once a month. Chiropractor about every three months. If something just doesn't feel right I rest until it does. Stretching after I run, and I mean as soon as I stop has been the most beneficial. Not coaching anymore has been tremendous for my body as well. I get new shoes every 125 miles of running also. That seems to be the sweet spot for me with Nike. Breathe through your nose when you exercise. I can't stress that enough. Your body naturally won't let you overtrain if you're breathing the way you were designed to. If you start mouth breathing you can push harder for longer, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing, especially when you get older. If you don't do this now when you start you're going to feel out of shape, and you are lol.

My normal fitness routine is run 10 miles on Sunday, lift Monday, run 5 on Tuesday, lift Wednesday, run 5 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday off.

This is just me and everyone is different, but if I eat what is a lot of sugar to me my joints hurt much worse than normal for a few days after. I haven't touched a soda since age 12 and I've never drank coffee before so a lot of sugar to me is like a bowl of ice cream.
Tru
DDL - can you post a link with those peptides?
Tru
Moss - I hate needles, hate them (can't look at IV's or getting my blood drawn - the pinch doesn't matter) but acupuncture is huge for me. I do monthly sessions. Sometimes weekly. Crazy how they treat my neck by putting them in my hips and calves.

If anyone can get over the thought if being a human pin cushion, I highly recommend acupuncture from a licensed pro
texasduck707
My routine is basically doing a 30 minute walk every weekday during lunch. my route is like 2 miles so im going at pretty good clip. now that its starting to creep into the 90s here in Dallas its a pretty good little workout. the humidity is pretty nice too, walking out of the office during my lunch is like stepping into a hot tub sometimes. ill weight lift 3 times a week usually tue/thurs/saturday. usually try to stay around 2k calories a day, on weekends ill have one day where i go over that number with beer/bbq or whatever else. thats it really. not trying to get ripped or crazy bulked up. just want to be healthy and have a some nice muscle tone and strength. i was at 297 back in January of 2017, at this point im down to 225 and feel great. the main thing is working on a self love and body positivity, used to struggled a lot with it and it held me back in some aspects of my life. sometimes i care what people think about me WAY too much, in reality people dont think anything about me and its just in my mind. Im learning that life is too short for something like that to hold you back. Im interested to hear other stories!
Mosster47
Tru said:

Moss - I hate needles, hate them (can't look at IV's or getting my blood drawn - the pinch doesn't matter) but acupuncture is huge for me. I do monthly sessions. Sometimes weekly. Crazy how they treat my neck by putting them in my hips and calves.

If anyone can get over the thought if being a human pin cushion, I highly recommend acupuncture from a licensed pro
My insurance covers me to go 12 times a year and I've never done it. I'm not against it, there has never been a time it has popped into my head and I've just went and done it. I really need to.

A guy i work with does a float tank all the time and loves it. He is 36 like me so we are at the point where we better start preventing before things start breaking and need to be replaced.
hawaiiduck1
Tru said:

I drink ON amino powder drinks in the morning to get goin. Works like caffeine without the crash.
I drink that as well, I like it a lot. I get the strawberry flavor from Costco, it's good, and not expensive. Though, I keep reading that it's good to cycle off of it every once in a while, for a week or so, for it to keep it's effectiveness, but I haven't looked much into that yet.

I also HATE needles, but since I'm diabetic I have to get my blood drawn every few months. That's been tough to get used to.

I used to alternate lifting and running, but I have developed a nerve issue in my shoulder, and so I can't lift very much or very hard anymore. I can follow Feld's fill the sleeves routine without too much pain, but if I try to incorporate other lifts I inflame the nerve. Unfortunately even push-ups bother it. I'm a side sleeper, and I flip over and change sides a lot at night, and that always wakes me up in pain, so I try to avoid making it worse. I've been to a couple different doctors about it, and neither made much difference.

I also try and take in a lot more protein, from different sources, I keep reading about that as well. I've seen in a few places that we should take in a gram of protein per pound of body weight, but that's a lot, I've never been able to consistently do that.

Something else that everyone should try, is to take a casein protein shake at night. I started doing it because it helped my blood sugar from spiking at night and in the morning, but it also helped me sleep better, and since it's a long-burning protein, your body burns it all night, so there are multiple good things it does for you.
onaduck
Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

I foam roll my back everyday. Once a week I wrap an electric heating pad around my ankles for 20 minutes each. Ice bath twice a month. Cryo once a month. Chiropractor about every three months. If something just doesn't feel right I rest until it does. Stretching after I run, and I mean as soon as I stop has been the most beneficial. Not coaching anymore has been tremendous for my body as well. I get new shoes every 125 miles of running also. That seems to be the sweet spot for me with Nike. Breathe through your nose when you exercise. I can't stress that enough. Your body naturally won't let you overtrain if you're breathing the way you were designed to. If you start mouth breathing you can push harder for longer, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing, especially when you get older. If you don't do this now when you start you're going to feel out of shape, and you are lol.

My normal fitness routine is run 10 miles on Sunday, lift Monday, run 5 on Tuesday, lift Wednesday, run 5 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday off.

This is just me and everyone is different, but if I eat what is a lot of sugar to me my joints hurt much worse than normal for a few days after. I haven't touched a soda since age 12 and I've never drank coffee before so a lot of sugar to me is like a bowl of ice cream.
Cryo is something I'm interested in. Is once per month enough? I've got a decade on you, and I really can't run anymore. Just too hard on my knees. If I'm on a spongy track, I'll run the straights and walk the curves for a couple miles but that's maxing out. And I pay for it. Mostly have to stick to elliptical machines and bike riding. I think part of the reason my knees are shot is I started riding mountain bikes pretty avidly when I hit about your age--mid 30s--and I rode without suspension of a fully rigid bike on super rooty trails. Just millions of impacts over the years, and suddenly one year I started having issues. Course age had caught up to me a bit too. Having to start facing the reality of possible knee replacements.
Tru
hawaiiduck1 said:

Tru said:

I drink ON amino powder drinks in the morning to get goin. Works like caffeine without the crash.
I drink that as well, I like it a lot. I get the strawberry flavor from Costco, it's good, and not expensive. Though, I keep reading that it's good to cycle off of it every once in a while, for a week or so, for it to keep it's effectiveness, but I haven't looked much into that yet.

I also HATE needles, but since I'm diabetic I have to get my blood drawn every few months. That's been tough to get used to.

I used to alternate lifting and running, but I have developed a nerve issue in my shoulder, and so I can't lift very much or very hard anymore. I can follow Feld's fill the sleeves routine without too much pain, but if I try to incorporate other lifts I inflame the nerve. Unfortunately even push-ups bother it. I'm a side sleeper, and I flip over and change sides a lot at night, and that always wakes me up in pain, so I try to avoid making it worse. I've been to a couple different doctors about it, and neither made much difference.

I also try and take in a lot more protein, from different sources, I keep reading about that as well. I've seen in a few places that we should take in a gram of protein per pound of body weight, but that's a lot, I've never been able to consistently do that.

Something else that everyone should try, is to take a casein protein shake at night. I started doing it because it helped my blood sugar from spiking at night and in the morning, but it also helped me sleep better, and since it's a long-burning protein, your body burns it all night, so there are multiple good things it does for you.
I get the coffee and peach flavor via Amazon. Knocks that strawberry stuff to the curb.

Do you get the Casein through ON? Or is there another brand?
Jell-OShotQueen
I've done spin anywhere from 5-7 times a week for the last 2.5 years and hit a big plateau with my weight loss about 6 months ago.

Just started doing HIIT and Barre at a local fitness studio and i love it. Definitely have noticed a change already.

I could work our all day every day, but the nutrition is the part i struggle with. My company is owned by MARS so there's a crap ton of candy and junk food every day *eye roll*
Jell-OShotQueen
I like On-especially the blue one, whatever that's called. Will usually add some extra glutamine to it though.
Tru
Jell-OShotQueen said:

I've done spin anywhere from 5-7 times a week for the last 2.5 years and hit a big plateau with my weight loss about 6 months ago.

Just started doing HIIT and Barre at a local fitness studio and i love it. Definitely have noticed a change already.

I could work our all day every day, but the nutrition is the part i struggle with. My company is owned by MARS so there's a crap ton of candy and junk food every day *eye roll*
Do you have a Burn Boot Camp nearby? My wife and her friends swear by it and the results speak for themselves. She did Barre for about 6-9 months and that helped motivate her. Then the plateau came but Burn is yet to show a plateau after a year+.
They hold different one hour sessions where some are women only and some mixed. I've been to some of the Saturday morning sessions and gotten my butt whopped - in a good way LOL. They kinda form a workout community and help support and urge each other along with some social media as well.

Edit: that blue ON is good
Jell-OShotQueen
Tru said:

Jell-OShotQueen said:

Do you have a Burn Boot Camp nearby? My wife and her friends swear by it and the results speak for themselves. She did Barre for about 6-9 months and that helped motivate her. Then the plateau came but Burn is yet to show a plateau after a year+.
They hold different one hour sessions where some are women only and some mixed. I've been to some of the Saturday morning sessions and gotten my butt whopped - in a good way LOL. They kinda form a workout community and help support and urge each other along with some social media as well.

Edit: that blue ON is good

I don't have a Burn near me but this is basically the same thing. The community is what really helps-I've become good friends with some girls from my spin studio and we have parties and get togethers often. It helps you to stay motivated and with the accountability piece!
Mosster47
onaduck said:

Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

Cryo is something I'm interested in. Is once per month enough? I've got a decade on you, and I really can't run anymore. Just too hard on my knees. If I'm on a spongy track, I'll run the straights and walk the curves for a couple miles but that's maxing out. And I pay for it. Mostly have to stick to elliptical machines and bike riding. I think part of the reason my knees are shot is I started riding mountain bikes pretty avidly when I hit about your age--mid 30s--and I rode without suspension of a fully rigid bike on super rooty trails. Just millions of impacts over the years, and suddenly one year I started having issues. Course age had caught up to me a bit too. Having to start facing the reality of possible knee replacements.
My boss here has really bad knees and he's a big guy (6'4"+) and he did stem cell treatment on his knees and the results were really good.

I do cryo as something different to ice baths. It's a different way to shock the body and it's only 3 minutes as opposed to the 12 minutes once you get used to ice baths.

I think I might buy a sauna in the next year or two. I hate sitting around in the heat so an IR one that can get to 220 or so would be perfect because I could get in and get out.

Your knee is a level so weight impact is going to be strongly magnified. It's harder to keep weight off as you get older, but losing 10lbs would be about a 30lb difference to each knee. If you took 1,000 steps a day that's 30k pounds less strain on them. That matters in the long game for sure.
onaduck
Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

My boss here has really bad knees and he's a big guy (6'4"+) and he did stem cell treatment on his knees and the results were really good.

I do cryo as something different to ice baths. It's a different way to shock the body and it's only 3 minutes as opposed to the 12 minutes once you get used to ice baths.

I think I might buy a sauna in the next year or two. I hate sitting around in the heat so an IR one that can get to 220 or so would be perfect because I could get in and get out.

Your knee is a level so weight impact is going to be strongly magnified. It's harder to keep weight off as you get older, but losing 10lbs would be about a 30lb difference to each knee. If you took 1,000 steps a day that's 30k pounds less strain on them. That matters in the long game for sure.
Yeah, I gotta get the weight down for sure. That's the best thing you can do for the knees. Supplements are kind of hit and miss.
hawaiiduck1
Tru said:

Do you get the Casein through ON? Or is there another brand?
I do, I like their products a lot. I like the taste too, which you can't say about every powder these days, since almost all of them are now made with very low sugar, which is great, except it leaves some tasting pretty bad.

Just checked Amazon and didn't realize there were so many flavors of the amino drink, time to try something else...
hawaiiduck1
onaduck said:

I think part of the reason my knees are shot is I started riding mountain bikes pretty avidly when I hit about your age--mid 30s--and I rode without suspension of a fully rigid bike on super rooty trails. Just millions of impacts over the years, and suddenly one year I started having issues. Course age had caught up to me a bit too. Having to start facing the reality of possible knee replacements.
My best friend is basically the leader of the mountain bike community in Hawaii, and he has been trying to get me into it for years. When we moved back there briefly some years ago, the day I arrived I got a call that he was in the hospital, so I rushed over there to see him.

He had been coming down a trail he does all the time, but something went wrong (he doesn't remember what) and he went head first into a tree (he assumes). It knocked him out, and when he came to he couldn't remember who and where he was. He pushed his bike back into town, and someone who knew him said hi and thought it was weird when he didn't respond, then figured out his bell was rung so got him to the hospital.

When I got there, his memory was resetting every five minutes. When that happened, he would look glassy for a second, then say "hey man thanks for coming to visit!". This was 2011, and he thought it was a few years earlier, before my family and I had moved to Texas. He didn't believe me when I kept telling him what year it was, that we'd moved away, etc. It was scary, it was like Ten Second Tom from 50 First Dates. I called him Five Minute Mike for a while after that.

The "reset" got longer and longer until his short term memory came back, but to this day he doesn't remember exactly what happened, and his head hurt for a while after. I told him sorry, I was NEVER getting into mountain biking after that! Plus it was too expensive for me.

He still mountain bikes every day though!
onaduck
Wow. Crazy. Definitely can be a dangerous sport, but I started pretty late in life and was pretty risk averse at that point. I avoid high speeds and try to keep off steeper terrain. I think of it as a really fun way to exercise more than for thrill seeking.
DucksDeLucks
https://www.target.com/p/vital-proteins-collagen-peptides-dietary-supplements-10oz/-/A-53436853?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Health%2BBeauty%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=t&location=9033028&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247077&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgLLoBRDyARIsACRAZe6FpdQJmmXF8fpCft9Fg1lZg-EIeZa39OJoDSjsOMurLOvlQn71TEgaAsAzEALw_wcB

Here's rhe target link where the price is cheaper than other places I've seen but you can also order it from amazon for around 40$. I get mine from Costco and want to say that they sell it for around 25$ but am not positive. Besides the benefits to my joints Iv also noticed that my skin and hair looks healthier and my fingernails grow faster and don't get hangnails as much as I used to. I was reading some threads about it on reddit earlier and people there seem to love it too and were reporting the same benefits that Iv experienced.
DucksDeLucks
This settles it, I'm finially going to try going to a chiropractor. My dad used to go weekly before his double hip replacement and said it was amazing but Iv never followed through to make it happen.

I love heating pads too and use one on my back most nights after using a foam roller. My back always cracks really hard when I use it and it feels great but the muscles on my shoulder blades tighten up and hurt...the heating pad helps with that though.
DucksDeLucks
Good for you man! You're absolutely right about life being too short, especially too short to spend it being unhealthy or worrying what others think. I need to start doing some cardio work but I hate running just to run. I play basketball and then mountain bike and longboard durring the summer months when the weather is nice but need to find something that I can carry over into fall and winter. Have been thinking about trying out swimming. Over the last 10 years Iv been in a weird cycle where I will get really into being healthy and working out/ exercising until I'm happy with my gains and then I'll either get busy or find an excuse to stop for awhile and never get back into it until im back where I started and have to start from the beginning again. This time I'm determined to not let that happen and to find a way to maintain even if I'm not doing it daily just because getting started again is the hardest part for me.
Mosster47
DucksDeLucks said:

This settles it, I'm finially going to try going to a chiropractor. My dad used to go weekly before his double hip replacement and said it was amazing but Iv never followed through to make it happen.

I love heating pads too and use one on my back most nights after using a foam roller. My back always cracks really hard when I use it and it feels great but the muscles on my shoulder blades tighten up and hurt...the heating pad helps with that though.
The chiro is just a tool in the tool kit. It gets you aligned so everything is the same length and your weight is distributed evenly on your legs, but you need to be active and work on your strength or it won't do too much for you.
Seeinggreen
Last month my blood draw numbers weren't good. I knew I was pretty overweight but seeing the numbers pushed the issue for me.
My diet since 5/20 has been couple pieces of fruit in the am with coffee, at 10am or so I have an apple with almond butter. I do a salad for lunch, then a protein bar in the afternoon. Dinner is a veggie base with s chicken or seafood protein.
I cut out sugar as much as possible, alcohol, White flour based carbs, and my doc wants me to stop eating meat but I'm not doing that. I have one cup of coffee in the am and other than that I drink water.
I'm down 15lbs in the first month and feel good about it but it's been hard. I need to drop about 80 more pounds.
I have started walking more but I know I need to find a better exercise routine at some point. I'm still figuring things out but the hardest part for me is accepting my situation.
DucksDeLucks
Keep your head up mate! It's never easy to make a lifestyle change but it sounds like you're doing great so far and are putting in the work and effort to get where you want to go. It really sucks in the beginning but try not to look too far ahead and just take things 1 day at a time. 15 lbs is definitely awesome progress and is something to Be proud. My roommate was in the same position and he gave up soda and processed food, started off by walking and eventually started swimming and he looks like a totally new man and people can tell he feels a lot healthier physically and mentally. Try to be patient with yourself and keep working towards your goal. I'm sure their are a lot of people who are going through the same thing or have had to in the past and can offer advice if you have any questions or are needing some motivation and support on a rough day so don't hesitate to post and keep us updated.
onaduck
Seeinggreen said:

Last month my blood draw numbers weren't good. I knew I was pretty overweight but seeing the numbers pushed the issue for me.
My diet since 5/20 has been couple pieces of fruit in the am with coffee, at 10am or so I have an apple with almond butter. I do a salad for lunch, then a protein bar in the afternoon. Dinner is a veggie base with s chicken or seafood protein.
I cut out sugar as much as possible, alcohol, White flour based carbs, and my doc wants me to stop eating meat but I'm not doing that. I have one cup of coffee in the am and other than that I drink water.
I'm down 15lbs in the first month and feel good about it but it's been hard. I need to drop about 80 more pounds.
I have started walking more but I know I need to find a better exercise routine at some point. I'm still figuring things out but the hardest part for me is accepting my situation.
I think the alcohol is the only thing that would give me trouble with this. I do enjoy some sugars like ice cream or a well-made pastry, but I'm fine without white flour, and I like lean proteins more than red meat and processed meats. Love fruits and vegetables. What's hard for me is the convenience factor of boxed foods in the house. And I like to snack.

From what you've posted here, I think getting more exercise is the main thing. If you really want to drop weight--good job on the 15 pounds!--you need to get real movement in every day, and at least three days a week should be challenging activities. I'm not an expert or anything, but I don't think walking more than you used to is anything other than a good start and something to build on. You gotta get out there every day. If I were in your shoes, and this is just me, mind you, I'd be walking for an hour 4 days a week and then finding youtube at home full body workout vids that last for around 30 minutes 3 times per week and just do the best you can getting through those. They all come with modifications to make them so anybody can follow at whatever pace they need to.

It's all kind of a build up. Start walking more. Make a point to walk every day. Add in full body workouts or such 3 times per week. And then change or adapt as you progress. Of course, then your body starts wanting more food because you're burning through the calories. lol. Everybody has to find what works. That's part of the fun of the challenge though.
AD22
onaduck said:

Stop running. I was a runner in my youth and kept at it when I joined the military.

I knew due to genetics my knees had a time stamp on them and when I left the service at 36 I stopped all exercise.

In the ten years since my knees have gotten better. I can actually carry items weighing 40 lbs down stairs without pain now.

The trade off is growth, as in body fat.

But, I am a slim person and have only gained 30 lbs in those 10 years of not exercising.

Make your own choice, but stopping the pounding on my knees has made my 40's much more pain free.
hawaiiduck1
AD22 said:

onaduck said:

Stop running. I was a runner in my youth and kept at it when I joined the military.

I knew due to genetics my knees had a time stamp on them and when I left the service at 36 I stopped all exercise.

In the ten years since my knees have gotten better. I can actually carry items weighing 40 lbs down stairs without pain now.

The trade off is growth, as in body fat.

But, I am a slim person and have only gained 30 lbs in those 10 years of not exercising.

Make your own choice, but stopping the pounding on my knees has made my 40's much more pain free.
I think it really depends on how much you run, how you run, and whether or not you do cross-training like knee strengthening exercises. And genetics does have a hand in it, like you say. I've just read a lot that if you keep it down around 5k a few times a week, not only is it good for you, but can actually strengthen your joints, and there are more and more studies about all the other things it can help, like avoiding dementia down the line, etc.

I run very casually, maybe 3 times a week, doing 2 or 3 miles, and do some runner cross-training exercises on other days to strengthen the knees, hips, ankles, etc.

But, I also love to do it, so that helps. I've had to ramp it way down over the years because of issues with my diabetes, but I don't think I could do without it completely.
OregonDonor
onaduck said:

Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

Yeah, I gotta get the weight down for sure. That's the best thing you can do for the knees. Supplements are kind of hit and miss.
I'm 42. At 6-4, 245 and working in building construction I feel your pain. It's a double edged sword. I burn a ton of calories being active all day, but the toll on my joints is starting to add up and the extra 20 pounds doesn't help.

I have a nice eliptical in my garage, but haven't been on it in some time. I have several buddies at work that have gotten really into lifting the past couple years that bug me all the time to go to the gym with them, but I always decline.
I think I'm about ready to start back up so I can drop some weight and get my cardio back up in time for my backpacking trips in July/August.

I did something to the ball of my right foot a few months ago, right where the middle toe connects to the ball. It feels like a broken bone, but there's no swelling. I've broken bones in my foot twice and there was a lot of swelling so it's probably something other than a bone(hurts like hell, and I walk over 8 miles a day at work on it). Going to the doctor(finally) this week. I'm hopeful that they can fix it, because walking on it is bad enough. I can't imagine running or even doing an elliptical.

Anyway. Good stuff guys/gals. I'm definitely going to check out some of these supplements and exercises you've suggested. Y'all are getting me motivated.
Tru
DucksDeLucks
OregonDonor said:

onaduck said:

Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

MNI've hit the part of middle age where my knees really start creaking and aching. I don't take any supplements or anything for it. If somebody has any remedies for middle aged knees, I'd like to hear about them.

I'm 42. At 6-4, 245 and working in building construction I feel your pain. It's a double edged sword. I burn a ton of calories being active all day, but the toll on my joints is starting to add up and the extra 20 pounds doesn't help.

I have a nice eliptical in my garage, but haven't been on it in some time. I have several buddies at work that have gotten really into lifting the past couple years that bug me all the time to go to the gym with them, but I always decline.
I think I'm about ready to start back up so I can drop some weight and get my cardio back up in time for my backpacking trips in July/August.

I did something to the ball of my right foot a few months ago, right where the middle toe connects to the ball. It feels like a broken bone, but there's no swelling. I've broken bones in my foot twice and there was a lot of swelling so it's probably something other than a bone(hurts like hell, and I walk over 8 miles a day at work on it). Going to the doctor(finally) this week. I'm hopeful that they can fix it, because walking on it is bad enough. I can't imagine running or even doing an elliptical.

Anyway. Good stuff guys/gals. I'm definitely going to check out some of these supplements and exercises you've suggested. Y'all are getting me motivated.
Where are you going backpacking? That sounds fun. Starting off doing some light squats/ core exercises would probably be great to help handle the extra weight you'll be carrying on your back. That's rough about your foot though, lingering foot injuries are a pain to deal with so I hope everything goes smooth at your doctor visit and ends up being nothing serious. Is it something that a new/ different pair of shoes might help with? I dislocated a toe a few years back and ever since that happened Iv gotten these random spasms/ cramps that move down my foot to the point where it feels like my toe is going to pop back Out... got a new pair of Nike trainers for the gym and they ended up being so comfortable that's I turned them into my walk around house shoes and overall it has helped a lot.

Sounds like you're already in pretty damn good shape if you're walking 8 miles a day but tagging along with your buddies to the gym would probably feel great and help give you a little boost for getting ready for or your backpacking trip ( wanting to be ready for that trip could be good motivation too.)
As someone who kept thinking about getting back into the gym for ages and kept putting it off I definitely recommend just going for it! You can start slow and work your way up but it's already improved my daily life in many ways and I wish I had started Sooner.

Also I recommended it to someone in another post but you should look into trying collagen peptides...they have made a huge difference for me and my joints feel better than they have in years.
JurisDucktor
I recently (as in just this week) started going to the gym again for the first time in years. Right now I made a schedule that is a hybrid of this: https://cdn.muscleandstrength.com/sites/default/files/workouts/4daymaximum_0.pdf

I'm almost the same exact measurements as Donor, and have also had a bad ankle injury hampering my abillity to do anything excessive. Cardio is absolutely impossible, so I'm planning on just swimming to try and get it in.

I did Keto a while back and my weight plummeted, but I felt sick all the time because of the vegetable restrictions (the high fat really gets to you after a while). A simple caloric deficit would be the best for me, but I really lack self control. Do you guys focus on any diets or is that secondary to working out for you?
Page 1 of 2

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.