Weightlifting/ workout/ gains/ nutrition/ supplements/ general exercise and health

OregonDonor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DucksDeLucks said:

OregonDonor said:

onaduck said:

Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

Mosster47 said:

onaduck said:

MNI've hit the part of middle age where my knees really start creaking and aching. I don't take any supplements or anything for it. If somebody has any remedies for middle aged knees, I'd like to hear about them.
I was having a hell of a time too, but I've got a good routine now.

I foam roll my back everyday. Once a week I wrap an electric heating pad around my ankles for 20 minutes each. Ice bath twice a month. Cryo once a month. Chiropractor about every three months. If something just doesn't feel right I rest until it does. Stretching after I run, and I mean as soon as I stop has been the most beneficial. Not coaching anymore has been tremendous for my body as well. I get new shoes every 125 miles of running also. That seems to be the sweet spot for me with Nike. Breathe through your nose when you exercise. I can't stress that enough. Your body naturally won't let you overtrain if you're breathing the way you were designed to. If you start mouth breathing you can push harder for longer, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing, especially when you get older. If you don't do this now when you start you're going to feel out of shape, and you are lol.

My normal fitness routine is run 10 miles on Sunday, lift Monday, run 5 on Tuesday, lift Wednesday, run 5 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday off.

This is just me and everyone is different, but if I eat what is a lot of sugar to me my joints hurt much worse than normal for a few days after. I haven't touched a soda since age 12 and I've never drank coffee before so a lot of sugar to me is like a bowl of ice cream.
Cryo is something I'm interested in. Is once per month enough? I've got a decade on you, and I really can't run anymore. Just too hard on my knees. If I'm on a spongy track, I'll run the straights and walk the curves for a couple miles but that's maxing out. And I pay for it. Mostly have to stick to elliptical machines and bike riding. I think part of the reason my knees are shot is I started riding mountain bikes pretty avidly when I hit about your age--mid 30s--and I rode without suspension of a fully rigid bike on super rooty trails. Just millions of impacts over the years, and suddenly one year I started having issues. Course age had caught up to me a bit too. Having to start facing the reality of possible knee replacements.
My boss here has really bad knees and he's a big guy (6'4"+) and he did stem cell treatment on his knees and the results were really good.

I do cryo as something different to ice baths. It's a different way to shock the body and it's only 3 minutes as opposed to the 12 minutes once you get used to ice baths.

I think I might buy a sauna in the next year or two. I hate sitting around in the heat so an IR one that can get to 220 or so would be perfect because I could get in and get out.

Your knee is a level so weight impact is going to be strongly magnified. It's harder to keep weight off as you get older, but losing 10lbs would be about a 30lb difference to each knee. If you took 1,000 steps a day that's 30k pounds less strain on them. That matters in the long game for sure.
Yeah, I gotta get the weight down for sure. That's the best thing you can do for the knees. Supplements are kind of hit and miss.
I'm 42. At 6-4, 245 and working in building construction I feel your pain. It's a double edged sword. I burn a ton of calories being active all day, but the toll on my joints is starting to add up and the extra 20 pounds doesn't help.

I have a nice eliptical in my garage, but haven't been on it in some time. I have several buddies at work that have gotten really into lifting the past couple years that bug me all the time to go to the gym with them, but I always decline.
I think I'm about ready to start back up so I can drop some weight and get my cardio back up in time for my backpacking trips in July/August.

I did something to the ball of my right foot a few months ago, right where the middle toe connects to the ball. It feels like a broken bone, but there's no swelling. I've broken bones in my foot twice and there was a lot of swelling so it's probably something other than a bone(hurts like hell, and I walk over 8 miles a day at work on it). Going to the doctor(finally) this week. I'm hopeful that they can fix it, because walking on it is bad enough. I can't imagine running or even doing an elliptical.

Anyway. Good stuff guys/gals. I'm definitely going to check out some of these supplements and exercises you've suggested. Y'all are getting me motivated.
Where are you going backpacking? That sounds fun. Starting off doing some light squats/ core exercises would probably be great to help handle the extra weight you'll be carrying on your back. That's rough about your foot though, lingering foot injuries are a pain to deal with so I hope everything goes smooth at your doctor visit and ends up being nothing serious. Is it something that a new/ different pair of shoes might help with? I dislocated a toe a few years back and ever since that happened Iv gotten these random spasms/ cramps that move down my foot to the point where it feels like my toe is going to pop back Out... got a new pair of Nike trainers for the gym and they ended up being so comfortable that's I turned them into my walk around house shoes and overall it has helped a lot.

Sounds like you're already in pretty damn good shape if you're walking 8 miles a day but tagging along with your buddies to the gym would probably feel great and help give you a little boost for getting ready for or your backpacking trip ( wanting to be ready for that trip could be good motivation too.)
As someone who kept thinking about getting back into the gym for ages and kept putting it off I definitely recommend just going for it! You can start slow and work your way up but it's already improved my daily life in many ways and I wish I had started Sooner.

Also I recommended it to someone in another post but you should look into trying collagen peptides...they have made a huge difference for me and my joints feel better than they have in years.

Thanks. I'm going to hike on the Pacific Crest Trail between Devils Lake and Crater Lake, if I can get the time off work (and my foot is better). Otherwise it'll have to be a shorter trek.

You're right about the shoes. My work boots are a little too narrow. The doctor recommended I get a wider pair, which sucks because they're only a few months old and cost around $200. Oh well, it'll be worth it if it helps my foot. Got a referral to a foot doctor, but my pcp thinks it's a nerve issue that runners often get, and the boots are the problem/solution.

I'll look into the collagen. Thanks
Tru
I'm adding spirulina to my breakfast drink. We'll see how it goes... the color is intensely green
OregonDonor
Tru said:

I'm adding spirulina to my breakfast drink. We'll see how it goes... the color is intensely green
I thought it smells fishy.
Tru
It's got a vegetal funk
DucksDeLucks
JurisDucktor said:

I recently (as in just this week) started going to the gym again for the first time in years. Right now I made a schedule that is a hybrid of this: https://cdn.muscleandstrength.com/sites/default/files/workouts/4daymaximum_0.pdf

I'm almost the same exact measurements as Donor, and have also had a bad ankle injury hampering my abillity to do anything excessive. Cardio is absolutely impossible, so I'm planning on just swimming to try and get it in.

I did Keto a while back and my weight plummeted, but I felt sick all the time because of the vegetable restrictions (the high fat really gets to you after a while). A simple caloric deficit would be the best for me, but I really lack self control. Do you guys focus on any diets or is that secondary to working out for you?

Good for you man keep it up! I don't know much about dieting but have made an effort to just eat healthier in general while focusing on my workout and that's been working great for me personally. Kinda just depends where you're starting at and what your goals are. So far I'm at about the 7 month mark and have gone from 180 to 200 lbs and plan on gaining another 5-10lbs before doing a little cut, but I don't really have bad weight on at the moment so I'm still pretty focused on adding weight/ muscle at this point. About 10 days ago i changed up my workout a bit cuz I didn't want my routine to get stale and it's good to add some variety once in awhile and Iv been crazy sore the next day ( the good kind of sore) but have needed to add more rest days. I also noticed that I had been starting to slack off a little bit and was focusing more on just counting my reps and trying get it done with instead of really making each rep count so Iv turned up the intensity and refocused myself which is something Iv gotta stay aware. I know it's still early for you but How is your routine going so far? What are your goals?
Hankyou85
I haven't read the thread yet and don't know if you've got a response. But Glucosomine is a wonderful supplement for joint pain. I take two doses every day and it's helped my knees a ton.
Hankyou85
As far as my diet goes I follow flexible dieting and it's allowed me to truly eat things I enjoy and lose weight. I do train 5-6 days/week but I only do cardio when I play basketball. Otherwise no cardio. I understand flexible dieting isn't for everybody because it can be hard to self control. But I found that I would eat "healthy" all week and then my weekends I would just blow it all and be back to where I started. And it was really unproductive. I do weigh all my food and put it into a log or calculuator on my phone. I am currently eating 240 P 350 C and 100 F. That's for me and I'm currently trying to put on more muscle, so gaining weight.
onaduck
Hankyou85 said:

I haven't read the thread yet and don't know if you've got a response. But Glucosomine is a wonderful supplement for joint pain. I take two doses every day and it's helped my knees a ton.
Thanks. I used to hear about this years ago, but you don't hear people talking about it as much these days. I'll look into it.
Mosster47
AD22 said:

onaduck said:

I've hit the part of middle age where my knees really start creaking and aching. I don't take any supplements or anything for it. If somebody has any remedies for middle aged knees, I'd like to hear about them.
Stop running. I was a runner in my youth and kept at it when I joined the military.

I knew due to genetics my knees had a time stamp on them and when I left the service at 36 I stopped all exercise.

In the ten years since my knees have gotten better. I can actually carry items weighing 40 lbs down stairs without pain now.

The trade off is growth, as in body fat.

But, I am a slim person and have only gained 30 lbs in those 10 years of not exercising.

Make your own choice, but stopping the pounding on my knees has made my 40's much more pain free.
The research says as long as you don't run over 19 miles a week at a pace no faster than 6mph the impact on your body is minimal. That's what I keep it at, but I'm running a marathon the week before Christmas so I'll have to start ramping way up in October.

I think I'm going to mix biking and swimming in next year. I work out five days a week now, but I'm going to go to six next year. Run Sunday, lift, swim, lift, bike, lift, rest.
OregonDonor
Anyone have a preference between Physique Fitness and Planet Fitness? I have both located within a mile of my house now. I think they're both around $10 a month, which is incredible. I used to pay $75 a month at Gold's back in the 90's!

I guess equipment, hours (I leave for work before 5am) and overall comfort level is what I'm asking about.
AD22
Mosster47 said:

AD22 said:

onaduck said:

I've hit the part of middle age where my knees really start creaking and aching. I don't take any supplements or anything for it. If somebody has any remedies for middle aged knees, I'd like to hear about them.
Stop running. I was a runner in my youth and kept at it when I joined the military.

I knew due to genetics my knees had a time stamp on them and when I left the service at 36 I stopped all exercise.

In the ten years since my knees have gotten better. I can actually carry items weighing 40 lbs down stairs without pain now.

The trade off is growth, as in body fat.

But, I am a slim person and have only gained 30 lbs in those 10 years of not exercising.

Make your own choice, but stopping the pounding on my knees has made my 40's much more pain free.
The research says as long as you don't run over 19 miles a week at a pace no faster than 6mph the impact on your body is minimal. That's what I keep it at, but I'm running a marathon the week before Christmas so I'll have to start ramping way up in October.

I think I'm going to mix biking and swimming in next year. I work out five days a week now, but I'm going to go to six next year. Run Sunday, lift, swim, lift, bike, lift, rest.
Everyone should do what they feel is right. My circumstances are unique in the fact that I have bad joint genetics and good running genetics. (father/mother dynamic) The mother of my children are good distance runners and volley ball players but also have bad knees. My son, oldest of the union, does not have my wind but he was always top 3rd in the 100 in 6th grade track. He didn't like it. He didn't like competing in Karate or taekwondoe although he won several tournaments, but he does love tennis and is good at it as a Freshman. His Sister has no interest in sports and she blows everyone away when her and her friends run...My friends comment on it and ask when she is going to join the track team. She never is. Not her interest and I'm not going to force her.
Hankyou85
There's a lot of preference that goes into that, they probably each have a week or 2 free trial. Try each one out!
SaudiDuck
I started CrossFit when my wife got pregnant with our first child. Some of the "bro" factor aside, I have actually really enjoyed it. I dropped something like 25 pounds and 4 inches off my waist in the first 6 weeks. I'm pushing five years since I started and while I still have a bit of a dad bod (thanks beer), I'm in better shape than I was when I was in my 20's and am stronger than I've ever been. As I've progressed in the five years since starting, I've learned to listen to my body to avoid some of the common pitfalls you hear about doing CrossFit (ie overuse injuries, joint injuries from bad form etc). I'm not getting any younger (almost 34) and just recognizing that, while deadlifting 50 pounds might feel good from a self fulfillment side of things and proving the hard work is paying off, it isn't worth the potential back pain. I certainly understand some of the reasons why people wouldn't like it but it scratched my competitive itch and got me in better shape so I'm happy I did it. Now, if I could just stop drinking beer, maybe I'd have abs.
Tru
How is CrossFit for your core? More specifically lower back. I had an accident a ways back and have struggled with maintaining core along with gluts & hammys. For lower back, hips are also important. I've tried lots of things. If you have specific workouts / exercises / tapes that would target those areas I'd be interested.
Note: I'm good with plyos but can't really jump or run much due to the vertical compression
SaudiDuck
We do a ton of core but I think the gym I go to benefits greatly from having people with sports science/kinesiology degrees coaching and planning our workouts. That hasn't been the case in other gyms I've dropped into around the country while traveling where it's just coaches who passed a test after a day or two of in person training. Having people who actually understand body mechanics is crucial, especially with some of the lifting we do.

If you go to a gym with competent staff, they'll ask you strengths/weaknesses when you join and adjust your first few weeks/months accordingly. We have quite a few people with bad backs, knees, hips etc and our gym staff modify their workouts accordingly. So instead of doing a box jump, they have them step up onto a box, instead of running they hit the stationary bike etc.

It's not for everyone and there are aspects of it that annoy me, mostly the perception of it, but it's worked for me.
Mosster47
Tru said:

How is CrossFit for your core? More specifically lower back. I had an accident a ways back and have struggled with maintaining core along with gluts & hammys. For lower back, hips are also important. I've tried lots of things. If you have specific workouts / exercises / tapes that would target those areas I'd be interested.
Note: I'm good with plyos but can't really jump or run much due to the vertical compression
Tru, I think you would really benefit from doing a lot of work in a pool. If you can find a place or have the means to install a pool with a 5'-6' depth you could get some great training in with or without weight.

The lack of impact is so nice. I can run 5 miles and the next day I know it in my joints. I can do explosive movements and core balance in the water for 45 minutes and the next day I don't have any joint pain.
Page 2 of 2

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.