Oregon Football

Recap: Ducks Win

September 2, 2017

If you missed the beginning of the Willie Taggart era, you missed an electrifying start. 

Tony Brooks-James housed a 100-yard kickoff return to get things started. From there Oregon continued to pour it on Southern Utah. 

Royce Freeman and the rush attack did the bulk of the damage while Oregon sprinkled in just enough pass plays to keep the defense honest.

Freeman had over 100 yards at the end of the first half along with two touchdowns. Kani Benoit also chipped in with another 47 yards and 2 touchdowns of his own.

Oregon was seemingly headed into halftime with a 42-7 lead when Southern Utah blew it open. The Thunderbirds completed a pass that went for 64 yards to put the game at 42-14. 

Shortly after that Tony Brooks-James fumbled the ball to give Southern Utah the short field to work with restulting in another score just before halftime. At one point it appeared to be 42-7 only to end up 42-21 at halftime.

But in all fairness Oregon started the 2nd half the right way. 

The Ducks forced a 3 and out to get the ball back. Royce Freeman took it the rest of the way pounding in his third touchdown for the day.

With Oregon up 49-21 the Ducks continued to put it on Southern Utah.

The Ducks held on the next Southern Utah possession, forcing another quick punt. However it was negated by Matt Mariota running into the kicker. 

Oregon does eventually hold and get the ball back after a pass break-up by Arrion Springs. 

Justin Herbert has no issue pushing the envelope however. Oregon's QB1 drops a dime to Charles Nelson to set up an eventual short TD run by Charles Nelson on the sweep to put Oregon up 56-21.

From there it was all Ducks. 

Royce Freeman pounded in his fourth touchdown of the night with just over 2:00 minutes left in the third quarter. That put the Ducks up 63-21. 

We took a small break at the end of the third quarter to 'Shout.'

Then we saw more Oregon running attack with Kani Benoit finding the end zone for his third touchdown of the night. 

From there it was a matter of getting this one over as fans and students exited the game very early in the fourth quarter. 

With Justin Herbert on the bench, Taylor Allie took over and would eventually scamper in for a 12-yard touchdown.

Oregon finished this game 77-21 and did not surrender a single point in the second half.

The Ducks are now 1-0 and await the Nebraska Cornhuskers in week two.



Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.